1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Vector Question

1. Nov 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Question from Vibrations and Waves by A.P. French Chapter 1

Consider a vector z defined by Z=Z1Z2, where Z1=a+jb, Z2=c+jd.

a)Show that the length of the of z is the product of the lengths of Z1 and Z2.

b)Show that the angle between z and the x-axis is the sum of of the angles made by Z1 and Z2

2. Relevant equations
    tan(θ1)=b/a
    tan(θ2)=d/c
    |Z1|=Z1
    |Z2|=Z2

3. The attempt at a solution

So the first part I didn't have any trouble with, it was fairly straight forward showing that the length of Z1*Z2 was equal to the length of Z. But when I moved to part B I ran into a problem. Here's what I tried.

I Knew θ1=b/a and θ2=d/c by a first order taylor expansion of the tangents of these angles and since I am told the angle of Z, θZ is the sum of these two. I must prove:

θZ=(cb+da)/ca

However when I write out the form of Z=Z1Z2 I get:

Z=ac-bd +j(ad+bc). Now since I know the tan(θZ)=imaginary/real

I get tan(θZ)=(ad+bc)/(ac-bd).

I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong, but I'd really appreciate a hand! Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2012 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You don't want to make any small angle approximation since you want to prove it for arbitrary angles.
    Try finding a trig identity involving the tangent function that you can relate to your expression for tan(θZ).

4. Nov 2, 2012 #3
    Have you been introduced to Euler's formula yet or are you required to solve it in cartesian form?

5. Nov 2, 2012 #4
    I mean I'm actually a senior physics major :P(slightly embarrassing I couldn't solve this) I've seen Euler's identity and it is introduced in the chapter, so I suppose that could be a viable way to solve the problem.

6. Nov 2, 2012 #5

Many thanks,

Using the relation tan(θ12)=(tan(θ1)+tan(θ2))/1-tan(θ1)*tan(θ2)

I was able to use trigonometry(SOHCAHTOA as i learned it way back when) to plug in for the tan(θ1) and tan(θ2) which ultimately leads to the solution I was trying to prove from my first post.

:smile:

7. Nov 2, 2012 #6
    A lot easier to solve in polar form :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook