1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Vectors expression

1. Jul 12, 2009 #1
    Problem/Statement
    The complex vector, [tex]\hat{v}(t) = cos(\omega t)\hat{x} + sin(\omega t)\hat{y}[/tex] is the unit vector [tex]\hat{v}(t)[/tex] expressed in instantaneous form.

Question
    What I am wondering is, why is there no imaginary component "j" in say the sin component for the equation above?

Can we express a general notation for complex vectors as,
    [tex]\hat{v}(t) = [cos(\omega t) + sin(\omega t)]\hat{x}] + [cos(\omega t) + sin(\omega t)]\hat{y}] [/tex]? Shouldn't that be the notation for the instantaneous form also?

Thanks,

Jeff

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2009 #2
    Weird. You'd have to consult the source of the question (either your book or your professor or whatnot).

With the hats over the x and y, it almost looks like they are mixing R^2 and C. The two are, in fact, isomorphic, and anything you can say about complex numbers translates simply to a statement about vectors in a 2D plane.

If it were me, I'd make the assumption that they meant x = 1 and y = j. That way, v(t) is a complex number. (In fact, v would be the exponential function, [tex]e^{it}[/tex]).

4. Jul 13, 2009 #3
    Yea, I'm not sure. I think I will ask the teacher tomorrow. Oh I think I meant the following (as well),

Can we express a general notation for complex vectors as,
    [tex]\hat{v}(t) = [[cos(\omega t) + sin(\omega t)]\hat{x} + j[cos(\omega t) + sin(\omega t)]\hat{y}] [/tex]? Shouldn't that be the notation for the instantaneous form also?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook