Understanding Complex Vector Rotation

In summary: So I am trying to visualize why it is rotating. But thanks for the reminder anyways!In summary, the equations \hat{v}(t) = cos(\omega t)\hat{x} + sin(\omega t)\hat{y} and \hat{v}(t) = -sin(\omega t)\hat{x} + cos(\omega t)\hat{z} describe the rotation of a unit vector in the x-y and x-z planes respectively. The first equation causes the vector to rotate counterclockwise in the x-y plane, while the second equation causes it to rotate clockwise in the x-z plane when viewed from the positive y-axis. This is due to the right hand rotation rule.
jeff1evesque

Homework Statement

Can someone explain to me why complex vectors of the following form will rotate counterclockwise in the x-y plane [with a velocity of w],

[tex]\hat{v}(t) = cos(\omega t)\hat{x} + sin(\omega t)\hat{y}[/tex] (#1)

And why the following equation, the unit vector rotates in the clockwise direction in the x-z plane,

[tex]\hat{v}(t) = -sin(\omega t)\hat{x} + cos(\omega t)\hat{z}[/tex] (#2)2. An attempt:
So I approached this problem by assuming [tex]\omega = 1; t = 0, t = \frac{\pi}{2}, t= \pi, t = \frac{3\pi}{2}, t = 2\pi[/tex]. When I computed this values, it seemed to me [tex]\hat{v}(t)[/tex] increased in the counterclockwise direction for both equations (#1) and (#2). Can someone explain to me the nature of the rotation for complex vectors?

thanks,JL

Physics news on Phys.org
Where are the complex numbers in this problem? It appears you are talking about rotation in real 3-space.

What do you mean by clockwise and counterclockwise? Imagine a transparent clock, one whose hands are visible from behind. When viewed from the back the hands will appear to be moving counterclockwise.

The right hand rotation rule provides a much better basis for terminology. In the first problem, the angular velocity vector points along +z axis. Where does it point in the second problem?

D H said:
Where are the complex numbers in this problem? It appears you are talking about rotation in real 3-space.

What do you mean by clockwise and counterclockwise? Imagine a transparent clock, one whose hands are visible from behind. When viewed from the back the hands will appear to be moving counterclockwise.

The right hand rotation rule provides a much better basis for terminology. In the first problem, the angular velocity vector points along +z axis. Where does it point in the second problem?

I think these "Complex Vectors" is in relation to "Phasors". When i say the orientation, for example clockwise, I mean the unit vector [tex]\hat{v}(t)[/tex] is rotating about a chosen plane [for instance x-y plane] in that respective direction. As it rotates, [since it has a fixed magnitude], it will trace a circle as the angular velocty [tex]\omega[/tex] increases. I hope that helps.

You don't need to help me. You are the one asking the question. This looks like homework, so I cannot by the rules of this site tell you the answer straight out. Besides, the question is ill-formed. What do you mean by clockwise? Think of the transparent clock.

D H said:
You don't need to help me. You are the one asking the question. This looks like homework, so I cannot by the rules of this site tell you the answer straight out. Besides, the question is ill-formed. What do you mean by clockwise? Think of the transparent clock.

If I cannot help you understand my question, how will I get my question answered? I am simply typing up definitions from my notes and asking for an interpretation from a different source- and right now that is you. And to my knowledge, the complex vector will rotate in the clockwise direction, by the equation (#1) of above. I am trying to make sense of my notes, and I am having difficulty right now, sorry for conjuring up bad questions, as I've never taken any EE courses before but am interested.

Thanks,JL

Last edited:
It isn't a complex vector. You have no complex numbers.

At t=0, the vector in the first equation will be oriented along the plus-x axis. A short time later, the vector's x component won't have changed much and the y component will be small but positive. The reason this first equation is said to rotate clockwise is because the x and y axes are typically represented as being horizontal and vertical, respectively, and with increasingly positive values to the right and upward. If you drew the +x axis to the left and the +y axis down, you would get the opposite picture.

The second problem: What made you use the x-z plane, as opposed to the z-x plane? What direction are the axes oriented?

(1) is reasonably unambiguous, because there is a preferred convention for viewing the x-y plane (+x is to the right, +y is upward). You can think of this as being viewed from the positive z side of the x-y plane.

However, for (2), it depends on what direction the x-z plane is to be viewed from: positive y or negative y side of the plane?

Is there a figure with the problem statement that would clarify this?

D H said:
It isn't a complex vector. You have no complex numbers.

At t=0, the vector in the first equation will be oriented along the plus-x axis. A short time later, the vector's x component won't have changed much and the y component will be small but positive. The reason this first equation is said to rotate clockwise is because the x and y axes are typically represented as being horizontal and vertical, respectively, and with increasingly positive values to the right and upward. If you drew the +x axis to the left and the +y axis down, you would get the opposite picture.

The second problem: What made you use the x-z plane, as opposed to the z-x plane? What direction are the axes oriented?

It says "Write the equation of a unit vector that rotates clockwise in the x-z plane when viewed from the positive y-axis. The vector should poin in the z direction at t = 0. Then couple lines below, it tells me,
"In order that it rotates clockwise: [tex]
\hat{v}(t) = -sin(\omega t)\hat{x} + cos(\omega t)\hat{z}
[/tex]."

There you go. Right hand rotation rule, which you can google. If you don't understand what you find, ask away.

D H said:
There you go. Right hand rotation rule, which you can google. If you don't understand what you find, ask away.

I think I knew the right hand rule- or hope so, but I am trying to think of why the equation itself causes the vector to rotate. So I let wt = 0, and thus z = 1, when I let wt = pi/2 then x = -1. If I continue on, it seems to me as values inside the equation increases, a rotation is clockwise. Is that a reasonable way of thinking? And can I apply this way of thinking to the other equation that I asked about?

thanks,

Jeff

Yes, that's a good way to look at it. ωt = 0, π/2, π, and 3π/2. It should be clear by the time you get to π or even π/2.

Redbelly98 said:
Yes, that's a good way to look at it. ωt = 0, π/2, π, and 3π/2. It should be clear by the time you get to π or even π/2.

Oh cool, thanks a lot. I actually was thinking in this way earlier, but as I was doing it, I was picturing the x-axis as the opposite orientation as it should be, and that just threw me in a loop haha. Thanks for the help guys.

1. What is a complex vector?

A complex vector is a mathematical representation of a vector that has both magnitude and direction. It consists of a real part and an imaginary part, and can be represented using complex numbers.

2. How does rotation affect complex vectors?

Rotation of a complex vector involves changing its direction while maintaining its magnitude. This can be done by multiplying the vector by a rotation matrix or by using trigonometric functions.

3. What is a rotation matrix?

A rotation matrix is a 2x2 matrix that is used to rotate a vector in a 2D space. It consists of cosine and sine values and can be used to rotate a vector in either a clockwise or counterclockwise direction.

4. How is complex vector rotation used in real-life applications?

Complex vector rotation has various applications in science and engineering, such as in the analysis of electromagnetic waves, signal processing, and robotics. It is also used in computer graphics to rotate and translate objects in a 2D or 3D space.

5. Are there any limitations to complex vector rotation?

One limitation of complex vector rotation is that it can only be used in 2D or 3D spaces. It also has limitations in representing vector quantities that have more than three dimensions. Additionally, the accuracy of the rotation depends on the precision of the rotation matrix used.