Solve Conjugate Complex Equations: Rules & Examples

• Thread starter matsorz
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses solving two equations involving the conjugate, with one of the equations being impossible. The rules for using the conjugate are also briefly mentioned. The solution for one of the equations involves finding the absolute value of z. The conversation also suggests avoiding coordinates to find the general solution for z.
matsorz
I have a couple of problems with the conjugate. I have two equations to solve, (conjugate)z=2/z and (conjugate)z=-2/z
How do I solve these= Are there some rules when you use the conjugate?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi matsorz! :smile:

[itex]z + \bar{z} = 2Re(z)[/itex]

[itex]z - \bar{z} = 2Im(z)[/itex]

[itex]z\bar{z} = |z|^2[/itex] :wink:

Ok, so I put |z^2|=2 in a) and |z^2|=-2 in b? Do I put in x and y, or do i just solve for z straight away?

One problem you have is that the second equation is impossible.
[tex]\overline{z}= -\frac{2}{z}[/tex]
is the same as [itex]z\overline{z}= -2[/itex] but [itex]z\overline{z}= |z|^2[/itex] must be a positive real number.

matsorz said:
I have a couple of problems with the conjugate. I have two equations to solve, (conjugate)z=2/z and (conjugate)z=-2/z
How do I solve these= Are there some rules when you use the conjugate?

(a-bi)*(a+bi)=2
a**2 + b**2 = 2

center ( 0,0 ) radius =sqrt2

(a-bi)*(a+bi)=-2

center (a,b) radius = i sqrt2

take abs of radii both

one is sqrt2
other abs ((sqrt 2) *i)=abs(i) * abs(sqrt2)

abs(i)=1

so they turn out to be equal.

matsorz said:
Ok, so I put |z^2|=2 in a) and |z^2|=-2 in b? Do I put in x and y, or do i just solve for z straight away?

straight away …

(it's always quickest to avoid coordinates as far as you can)

|z| = √2 (the first case), so the general solution for z is … ? :smile:

What are conjugate complex equations?

Conjugate complex equations involve two complex numbers that are complex conjugates of each other. This means that they have the same real part, but opposite imaginary parts.

What are the rules for solving conjugate complex equations?

The rules for solving conjugate complex equations include multiplying the complex numbers by their respective conjugates, simplifying the equation, and solving for the unknown variable.

Can you provide an example of solving a conjugate complex equation?

Yes, an example of solving a conjugate complex equation is (2+3i)(2-3i)=x. The conjugate of 2+3i is 2-3i, so multiplying them together results in (2^2)-(3i)^2=x. Simplifying further, we get 4+9=x. Therefore, x=13.

Why is it important to solve conjugate complex equations?

Solving conjugate complex equations is important in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. It allows us to find solutions to problems involving complex numbers, which have practical applications in real-life situations.

Are there any tips for solving conjugate complex equations?

Yes, a helpful tip for solving conjugate complex equations is to remember that the product of a complex number and its conjugate is always a real number. This can simplify the equation and make it easier to solve.