Solving (z^N-a^N) = 0 for a^N<0

• Thread starter WolfOfTheSteps
  • Start date
In summary, the author claims that the z_k's in the equation for the roots of a are given by z_k= (a^{1/N}e^{i(2\pi k)/N} )(a^{1/N} here is the "principal" real Nth root of the positive real number a, \sqrt[N]{a}) and that the roots are w,w\zeta,...,w\zeta^{n-1}.
WolfOfTheSteps

Homework Statement

Find the roots for

[tex](z^N-a^N) = 0[/tex]

when [itex]a^N<0[/itex] is allowed.

Homework Equations

No idea.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the roots are

[tex]z_k=ae^{i(2\pi k/N)}, k = 0, 1, ... , N-1.[/tex]

How do I find that solution? I'm reading a signals book, and it assumed that this is obvious. It should also be obvious that this is not a homework problem, so if possible please just tell me what I'm missing without hints. I'm studying and in a rush. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
exp(i*2*pi*k/N)^N=exp(2i*pi*k)=1 for k an integer. Take z_k to the Nth power. exp(2i*pi*k)=cos(2*pi*k)+i*sin(2*pi*k).

couldn't you use the relationship
[tex]z - \frac{1}{z} = 2{\bf{i}}\sin \theta[/tex] and De Movire's Theorem?

WolfOfTheSteps said:

Homework Statement

Find the roots for

[tex](z^N-a^N) = 0[/tex]

when [itex]a^N<0[/itex] is allowed.

Homework Equations

No idea.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the roots are

[tex]z_k=ae^{i(2\pi k/N)}, k = 0, 1, ... , N-1.[/tex]

How do I find that solution? I'm reading a signals book, and it assumed that this is obvious. It should also be obvious that this is not a homework problem, so if possible please just tell me what I'm missing without hints. I'm studying and in a rush. Thanks!
There are two things you are "missing". The first is that you're formula is not correct- the N "Nth roots of a" are given by [itex]z_k= (a^{1/N}e^{i(2\pi k)/N}[/itex] )([itex]a^{1/N}[/itex] here is the "principal" real Nth root of the positive real number a, [itex]\sqrt[N]{a}[/itex]) and the fact that you don't seem to have tried to use that formula!
[itex]z_1= \sqrt[N]{a}[/itex] with k= 0.
[itex]z_2= \sqrt[N]{a}e^{2\pi i/N}[/itex] with k= 1.
[itex]z_3= \sqrt[N]{a}e^{4\pi i/N}[/itex] with k= 2.
etc.

HallsofIvy said:
There are two things you are "missing". The first is that you're formula is not correct- the N "Nth roots of a" are given by [itex]z_k= (a^{1/N}e^{i(2\pi k)/N}[/itex] )([itex]a^{1/N}[/itex] here is the "principal" real Nth root of the positive real number a, [itex]\sqrt[N]{a}[/itex]) and the fact that you don't seem to have tried to use that formula!
[itex]z_1= \sqrt[N]{a}[/itex] with k= 0.
[itex]z_2= \sqrt[N]{a}e^{2\pi i/N}[/itex] with k= 1.
[itex]z_3= \sqrt[N]{a}e^{4\pi i/N}[/itex] with k= 2.
etc.

Thanks for your help, Halls. I posted this the night before a test in a cram.

But now I'm coming back to it and trying to understand, and I still don't get it! I tried using the formula, but the z_k's you have up there make no sense! I just don't see what the complex exponential is doing! And when I plug in sample values for N, that exponential evaluates to crazy things.

I think I'm having a mental block and missing something obvious. Also, was my formula really wrong? Here is exactly what the book says:

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/432/exampleqe5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[tex]z^n = a^n[/tex] let [tex]\zeta[/tex] be the [tex]n[/tex]-th root of unity and [tex]w = \sqrt[n]{a} = \exp (\log (a)/n)[/tex] then the roots are [tex]w,w\zeta,...,w\zeta^{n-1}[/tex]. (The square root here and log are the complex-valued functions).

What is the purpose of solving (z^N-a^N) = 0 for a^N<0?

The purpose of solving this equation is to find the values of z and a that satisfy the equation. This can help us understand the behavior of the equation and make predictions about its solutions.

What are the steps involved in solving (z^N-a^N) = 0 for a^N<0?

The first step is to factor out the common factor of (z-a). This will leave us with (z^(N-1) + z^(N-2)a + ... + za^(N-2) + a^(N-1)) = 0. Then, we can use the quadratic formula or other methods to solve for z and a.

What is the significance of a^N<0 in this equation?

The condition a^N<0 means that the value of a is negative. This is important because it affects the behavior of the equation and can change the number of solutions or the type of solutions.

How can solving (z^N-a^N) = 0 for a^N<0 be applied in real-world situations?

This equation can be used to model various physical phenomena, such as the motion of a projectile or the decay of radioactive materials. By solving for z and a, we can make predictions about the behavior of these systems.

What are some common misconceptions about solving (z^N-a^N) = 0 for a^N<0?

Some people may think that there is only one solution or that complex numbers cannot be solutions. However, this equation can have multiple solutions, including complex solutions. It is important to consider all possibilities when solving this type of equation.