1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complext roots

1. Oct 29, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the roots for

[tex](z^N-a^N) = 0[/tex]

when [itex]a^N<0[/itex] is allowed.

2. Relevant equations

No idea.

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the roots are

[tex]z_k=ae^{i(2\pi k/N)}, k = 0, 1, ... , N-1.[/tex]

How do I find that solution? I'm reading a signals book, and it assumed that this is obvious. It should also be obvious that this is not a homework problem, so if possible please just tell me what I'm missing without hints. I'm studying and in a rush. Thanks!!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

exp(i*2*pi*k/N)^N=exp(2i*pi*k)=1 for k an integer. Take z_k to the Nth power. exp(2i*pi*k)=cos(2*pi*k)+i*sin(2*pi*k).

4. Oct 30, 2007 #3
    couldn't you use the relationship
    [tex]z - \frac{1}{z} = 2{\bf{i}}\sin \theta[/tex] and De Movire's Theorem?

5. Oct 30, 2007 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There are two things you are "missing". The first is that you're formula is not correct- the N "Nth roots of a" are given by [itex]z_k= (a^{1/N}e^{i(2\pi k)/N}[/itex] )([itex]a^{1/N}[/itex] here is the "principal" real Nth root of the positive real number a, [itex]\sqrt[N]{a}[/itex]) and the fact that you don't seem to have tried to use that formula!
    [itex]z_1= \sqrt[N]{a}[/itex] with k= 0.
    [itex]z_2= \sqrt[N]{a}e^{2\pi i/N}[/itex] with k= 1.
    [itex]z_3= \sqrt[N]{a}e^{4\pi i/N}[/itex] with k= 2.
    etc.

6. Nov 10, 2007 #5
    Thanks for your help, Halls. I posted this the night before a test in a cram.

But now I'm coming back to it and trying to understand, and I still don't get it! I tried using the formula, but the z_k's you have up there make no sense! I just don't see what the complex exponential is doing! And when I plug in sample values for N, that exponential evaluates to crazy things.

I think I'm having a mental block and missing something obvious. Also, was my formula really wrong? Here is exactly what the book says:

[​IMG]

7. Nov 10, 2007 #6
    [tex]z^n = a^n[/tex] let [tex]\zeta[/tex] be the [tex]n[/tex]-th root of unity and [tex]w = \sqrt[n]{a} = \exp (\log (a)/n)[/tex] then the roots are [tex]w,w\zeta,...,w\zeta^{n-1}[/tex]. (The square root here and log are the complex-valued functions).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?