Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complicated algebra

1. Mar 16, 2010 #1
    There's somebody who could help me solve this problem.It is from a very long resolution that i was trying to understand and this part i didn't get.

[tex]\frac{v_2+3v_1^2-2v_1v_2}{3v_2^2-3v_1^2-2v_2v_1}[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2010 #2
    What i meant was simplify the algebra to this one:

[tex]\frac{v_2[3v_1+v_2]}{[v_1+3v_2]}[/tex]

4. Mar 16, 2010 #3
    I don't think they are the same expression...

5. Mar 16, 2010 #4
    But it came from this:

[tex]\frac{2(v_1+v_2)-(v_2-v_1)}{(v_2-v_1)}[/tex]* [tex]\frac{v_2-v_1}{2(v_1+v_2)+(v_2-v_1)}[/tex]

6. Mar 16, 2010 #5
    That final expression does not equal either of the first two I don't think, though it simplifies to something similar to the second one (numerator is 3*v1 + v2), not v2*(3*v1 + v2).

Where are you quoting from? None of this follows to me.

7. Mar 16, 2010 #6
    It is from a old question:

Three tourists gathered in one place and having a bike that can carry only two people ever need to get to a tourist destination as quickly as possible.The A tourist A takes tourist B, cycle to a point x of the course and returns to tourist C as he was walking to find A. tourist B from x continues to walk his journey to the tourist center.
    The three arrive simultaneously to the turistic centre.
    A average speed v1 is as pedestrian and cyclist as v2 average speed that the tourists will the total route.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook