Complicated Centre of Mass Question

In summary, the conversation is about a non-uniform bar suspended by two light ropes at different angles. The question is asking for the distance from one end of the bar to the center of gravity. The suggested approach is to apply the conditions for equilibrium and use three equations to solve for the tension in each rope and the location of the center of gravity. The fact that the ropes are suspended at different heights may affect the outcome.
siemieniuk
:cry: Hey all... I'm having trouble deciding where the heck I should even start with this question. Soooo... here it is (I've attached a picture of the diagram because the question wouldn't make any sense without it).

A non-uniform bar of weight W is suspended at rest in a horizontal position by two light ropes as shown in the following diagram. The angle one rope makes with the vertical is theta=36.9 degrees, the other makes the angle phi=53.1 degrees with the vertical. If the length L of the bar is 6.1 m, compute the distance x from the left hand end to the centre of gravity.

(see attachment)

Where I was headed, was to assign a weight to this bar, and calculate the tensions in the string. But, even if this was correct, I'm not sure where to go from there. Maybe I'm taking too much from a simple drawing, but would the fact that where the strings are suspended from on either side are at different heights have any effect on the outcome? Please advise...

Thanks,

Out of Equilibrium in Calgary

Attachments

• l7q28.jpg
    l7q28.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 401
Physics news on Phys.org
Treat this like any other equilibrium problem: Apply the conditions for equilibrium. The net force on the bar must be zero and the net torque (about any axis) must be zero. You can get three equations (x-components; y-components; torque) which will allow you to solve for the tension in each rope and "x" (the location of the center of mass).

Hi there,

I can understand your frustration with this question. Finding the centre of mass of a non-uniform object can definitely be tricky, especially when it's suspended by multiple ropes. However, don't worry because I'm here to help!

First, you're on the right track by assigning a weight to the bar and calculating the tensions in the strings. This is a good starting point. To find the centre of mass, we will use the principle of moments, which states that the sum of the moments on an object is equal to zero.

In this case, we can take moments about the left end of the bar. The weight of the bar will create a clockwise moment, while the tensions in the strings will create counterclockwise moments. We can set up an equation like this:

(W * x) - (T1 * L * sin(theta)) - (T2 * L * sin(phi)) = 0

Where W is the weight of the bar, x is the distance from the left end to the centre of mass, T1 is the tension in the first string, T2 is the tension in the second string, and theta and phi are the angles given in the question.

Now, we have three unknowns (x, T1, T2) and only one equation. But don't worry, we have another piece of information that we can use to solve for x. Since the bar is at rest, we know that the sum of the vertical forces must be equal to zero. This means that the vertical components of the tensions in the strings must balance the weight of the bar. We can use this information to set up another equation:

T1 * cos(theta) + T2 * cos(phi) = W

Now we have two equations and two unknowns (T1 and T2). We can solve for these tensions and then plug them back into the first equation to solve for x.

As for the different heights of the suspending points, this will not affect the outcome because the tensions in the strings will adjust to keep the bar in equilibrium.

I hope this helps! Just remember to take your time and carefully consider all the forces acting on the bar. Best of luck to you!

1. What is the "centre of mass" and why is it important in physics?

The centre of mass is a point in an object or system where the mass can be considered to be concentrated. It is important in physics because it helps us understand an object's motion and stability, as well as how different forces act on it.

2. How do you calculate the centre of mass for a complicated object?

To calculate the centre of mass for a complicated object, you can use the formula: x_cm = (m1x1 + m2x2 + ... + mnxn) / (m1 + m2 + ... + mn), where x_cm is the x-coordinate of the centre of mass, m is the mass of each component, and x is the x-coordinate of each component's position. Repeat this for the y and z coordinates to get the complete centre of mass.

3. Can the centre of mass be outside of an object?

Yes, the centre of mass can be outside of an object. In fact, for irregularly shaped objects, the centre of mass may not even be located within the object at all.

4. How does the centre of mass affect an object's stability?

The lower an object's centre of mass is, the more stable it will be. This is because the centre of mass acts as a pivot point for an object's rotational motion, and a lower centre of mass creates a shorter lever arm, making it harder for the object to tip over.

5. Can the centre of mass change for an object?

Yes, the centre of mass can change for an object if its mass distribution changes. For example, if you add or remove mass from one side of an object, the centre of mass will shift towards that side. However, for a rigid object, the centre of mass will remain the same unless an external force acts on it.