Algebraic Methods for Solving Complicated Equations with Variable x

• Thread starter larry91
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about solving the equation 2x + ax > 3x + 4x for any real value of x using algebraic methods. One person solved it using analytical methods and The Rolle Theorem, but the other person is asking for a different approach to solve it and mentions that any value of a greater than or equal to 6 is a solution. The conversation also addresses a typo in the inequality and discusses why one person does not want to use Rolle's theorem to solve the equation.
larry91
Hi everybody!

I have to solve the following equation using algebraic methods: a=? such as 2x + ax > 3x + 4x for any x from ℝ.

I solved it using analytical methods. Using The Rolle Theorem, but I don't want to solve it in that way! The solution for a is 6

Physics news on Phys.org
larry91 said:
Hi everybody!

I have to solve the following equation using algebraic methods: a=? such as 2x + ax > 3x + 4x for any x from ℝ.

I solved it using analytical methods. Using The Rolle Theorem, but I don't want to solve it in that way! The solution for a is 6

Be careful: as written, your inequality fails for the real value x = 0. Perhaps you meant "≥". (In Mathematics, we need to be precise!) Also, of course, a solution is _any_ a ≥ 6. Perhaps the question asked for the smallest such a?

Finally, why do you not want to use Rolle's theorem?

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
Be careful: as written, your inequality fails for the real value x = 0. Perhaps you meant "≥". (In Mathematics, we need to be precise!) Also, of course, a solution is _any_ a ≥ 6. Perhaps the question asked for the smallest such a?

Finally, why do you not want to use Rolle's theorem?

RGV

Yes! The smallest value for a! and there is ≥. Sorry!
Using Rolle's theorem is quite simple to solve it... I don't want to solve it 'cause I need a solution for it... I just want to find an approach through we can solve it using algebraic methods!

1. What are algebraic methods for solving complicated equations with variable x?

Algebraic methods involve using algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to manipulate equations in order to isolate the variable x and solve for its value.

2. Why are algebraic methods useful for solving equations?

Algebraic methods allow us to find the exact solution for an equation with variable x, rather than relying on estimation or trial and error methods. They also provide a systematic approach for solving equations of varying complexities.

3. Can algebraic methods be used for any type of equation with variable x?

Yes, algebraic methods can be used for a wide range of equations, including linear equations, quadratic equations, and higher degree polynomial equations. However, the complexity of the equation may affect the difficulty of the solution process.

4. What are some common algebraic techniques used to solve equations with variable x?

Some common algebraic techniques include factoring, substitution, and the use of properties of equality such as the addition and multiplication properties.

5. Are there any limitations to using algebraic methods for solving equations with variable x?

Algebraic methods are limited in their ability to solve equations with infinite or complex solutions. In these cases, other methods such as graphing or numerical methods may be more suitable.