Simplifying Complex Circuits for Resistance Calculations

• Thread starter xxkbxx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistance
In summary: When two resistors R and r are in parallel, use the notation (R || r) to express the effective resistance. The two parallel lines '||' have an obvious meaning.When two resistors R and r are in series, just add them up as usual, i.e. the effective resistance is R + r.Now, your objective is to reduce the diagram in stages to a single resistance. Just forget about the mathematics and express everything in this notation at first.When you reduce a pair of resistors, immediately redraw the diagram with the effective resistance of the pair as a single resistor. Just stick with the notation.So, you'd
xxkbxx

Homework Statement

Okay - the picture is attached, but what I need to find is the current and voltage throughout certain points on the circuit. What I need help on is figuring out how to simplify this circuit in order to find resistance.

Homework Equations

Parallel Req = (1/R1 + 1/R2)^-1
Series Req = R1 + R2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to combine equations for series and parallel circuits - but what can I do with R4? I need to simplify the circuit, but I know I can't put it in parallel with R5 or R6 since it has resistance in both loops. Is there a way to combine R5 and R6. Let me know please...

Attachments

• Image1499.gif
    Image1499.gif
    1.6 KB · Views: 422
Physics news on Phys.org
I think R5 and R6 can be combined since you have only the one voltage source, then added to R4.

I tried that before, but I was unsure. The eq of R5 and R6 is (1/(R5) + 1/(R6))^-1 Then that would be added to R4, since R4 is in series. Okay, that makes more sense now - I think I have the rest from here!

I believe that tou can join the R5/R6 in parallel more the R4 in series to form a "block" with the R4 in parallel with this block

I believe that the circuit would be the same as the attachment from R1, R2, and R3 - but the last branch would have R5 and R6 in parallel in the "block" as you called it, in series with R4.

Would my total resistance than be:
Req = R1 + R2 + (1/(R3) + (1/R4) + (1/(1/R5 + R6))

Specifically, how would I add up the resistance of the R5 and R6 Block?

xxkbxx said:
I tried that before, but I was unsure. The eq of R5 and R6 is (1/(R5) + 1/(R6))^-1 Then that would be added to R4, since R4 is in series. Okay, that makes more sense now - I think I have the rest from here!

Right on.

But just wait til they start adding batteries all over. :yuck:

xxkbxx said:
I believe that the circuit would be the same as the attachment from R1, R2, and R3 - but the last branch would have R5 and R6 in parallel in the "block" as you called it, in series with R4.

I think that's close call R4+1/(1/R5+1/R6)=Z
Req=R1 + R2 + 1/(1/r3+1/z) is what I see.

xxkbxx said:

R1+{1/R3+[(1/R5+1/R6)+R4]}+R2
[tex] R1+ \{ \frac{1}{R3} + (( \frac{1}{R5}+ \frac{1}{R6} )+ R4) \} + R2[/tex]

Last edited:
xxkbxx said:

Homework Statement

Okay - the picture is attached, but what I need to find is the current and voltage throughout certain points on the circuit. What I need help on is figuring out how to simplify this circuit in order to find resistance.

Homework Equations

Parallel Req = (1/R1 + 1/R2)^-1
Series Req = R1 + R2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to combine equations for series and parallel circuits - but what can I do with R4? I need to simplify the circuit, but I know I can't put it in parallel with R5 or R6 since it has resistance in both loops. Is there a way to combine R5 and R6. Let me know please...

Teach you a little trick to make these problems easier.

When two resistors R and r are in parallel, use the notation (R || r) to express the effective resistance. The two parallel lines '||' have an obvious meaning.

When two resistors R and r are in series, just add them up as usual, i.e. the effective resistance is R + r.

Now, your objective is to reduce the diagram in stages to a single resistance. Just forget about the mathematics and express everything in this notation at first.

When you reduce a pair of resistors, immediately redraw the diagram with the effective resistance of the pair as a single resistor. Just stick with the notation.

So, you'd begin : R5 is in parallel with R6, the effective resistance is (R5 || R6). That is now in series with R4, the effective resistance is now (R5 || R6) + R4, and so forth.

When you finally finish the reduction, you should get the effective resistance of the entire circuit (R) as :

R = {[(R5 || R6) + R4] || R3} + R2 + R1

(Be sure to bracket each pair of resistances as you reduce them, to avoid making a mistake).

Looks complicated, but it isn't really when you work through it yourself. It becomes a lot easier if you keep drawing the intermediate steps in the reduction with single resistances replacing the pairs you've reduced.

Now just apply the relation R || r = (1/R + 1/r)^(-1) = (Rr)/(R+r), while taking care with the brackets, and you've got the effective resistance of the circuit.

Last edited:
Slick, I like that. Improves legibility, reduces chance for error, avoids the need to make subs as I did...

denverdoc said:
Slick, I like that. Improves legibility, reduces chance for error, avoids the need to make subs as I did...

Wait till you see how legible they make (otherwise) complicated complex impedance problems! :smile:

1. What is complicated resistance?

Complicated resistance refers to the phenomenon where microorganisms develop multiple mechanisms to resist the effects of antibiotics or other forms of treatment. This can make it difficult to effectively treat infections caused by these resistant organisms.

2. How does complicated resistance occur?

Complicated resistance occurs when microorganisms undergo genetic mutations or acquire resistance genes from other bacteria. These changes allow them to develop multiple mechanisms to resist the effects of antibiotics or other forms of treatment.

3. What are the consequences of complicated resistance?

The consequences of complicated resistance can include prolonged infections, increased risk of complications and death, as well as higher healthcare costs due to the need for more expensive or stronger antibiotics or treatments.

4. How can we combat complicated resistance?

To combat complicated resistance, it is important to use antibiotics and other forms of treatment responsibly, only when necessary and as prescribed by a healthcare professional. It is also important to continue researching and developing new treatments and strategies to combat complicated resistance.

5. Is there anything individuals can do to prevent complicated resistance?

Individuals can play a role in preventing complicated resistance by following proper hygiene practices such as washing hands regularly and properly disposing of unused antibiotics. It is also important to finish prescribed courses of antibiotics, even if symptoms improve, to prevent the development of resistant bacteria.