Complimentary Unitary Operators

• Thread starter jfy4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operators
In summary, the conversation discusses a quantum system that acts on an N-dimensional space and shows that any operator can be expressed as a polynomial of the form O=\sum_{m,n=1}^{\infty}o_{mn}U^m V^n, where U and V are complementary unitary operators satisfying (U^N = V^N =1). It is then shown that if O commutes with U, the polynomial can only be a function of U, and if O commutes with V, the polynomial can only be a function of V. Finally, if O commutes with both U and V, the polynomial must be a constant times the identity. The conversation also discusses a possible solution to this problem and
jfy4

Homework Statement

Consider a quantum system that acts on an N-dimensional space. We showed that any operator could be expressed as a polynomial of the form
[tex]
O=\sum_{m,n=1}^{\infty}o_{mn}U^m V^n
[/tex]
where [itex]U[/itex] and [itex]V[/itex] are complementary unitary operators satisfying [itex](U^N = V^N =1)[/itex] Show that if [itex]O[/itex] commutes with [itex]U[/itex] this polynomial can only be a function of [itex]U[/itex]; if [itex]O[/itex] commutes with [itex]V[/itex] this polynomial can only be a function of [itex]V[/itex]; and if [itex]O[/itex] commutes with [itex]U[/itex] and [itex]V[/itex] this polynomial must be a constant times the identity

Homework Equations

[tex]UV=VU e^{i2\pi /N}[/tex]
[tex]V^n U=UV^n e^{i2\pi n/N}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Me and some buddies thought we had a solution to this, but then another clever buddy pointed out something that we are all unsure of... can a fellow PF lurker lend a hand here

I solved this by assuming the commutation and writing it out explicitly and using the above relavent equations
[tex]
[O,U]=\sum_{m,n=1}^{N}o_{mn}(U^m V^n U-UU^m V^n)=\sum_{m,n=1}^{N}o_{mn}U^{m+1}V^n (e^{i2\pi n/N}-1)=0
[/tex]
I then confidently took
[tex]
e^{i2\pi n/N}=1\implies n=N
[/tex]
which, as stated in the beginning, makes [itex]V^n=V^N=1[/itex] which gives me my polynomial in terms of [itex]U[/itex] only.

Now here is the confusion, there is a summation there in my solution, which seems to make my solution incorrect, since what I wrote doesn't need to be true, just that the sum of the terms needs to add up to zero. Are we missing something obvious, or is that solution simply not valid?

Thanks in advance,

Physics news on Phys.org
I would hazard that powers of operators are independent from each other just like normal variables so that absorbing the n dependent factor into the coefficients gives you a statement about the independence of powers of operators

[tex] \Sigma_{m,n=1}^{N} o_{mn} U^{m+1} V^{n} (e^{i2 \pi n/N} - 1) = \Sigma_{m,n=1}^{N} o' (n)_{mn} U^{m+1} V^{n} = 0 [/tex]

which is only satisfied when n=N, otherwise O is not general, and so the sum is irrelevant

Hope it is clear

1. What is the definition of a complimentary unitary operator?

A complimentary unitary operator is a mathematical operator that, when applied to a vector, results in a new vector that is perpendicular to the original vector. It is also known as an orthogonal operator.

2. How are complimentary unitary operators related to unitary operators?

Complimentary unitary operators are a subset of unitary operators, which are mathematical operators that preserve the length and angles of vectors. However, complimentary unitary operators have the additional property of transforming a vector into a perpendicular vector.

3. What are some real-world applications of complimentary unitary operators?

Complimentary unitary operators have many practical applications in fields such as quantum mechanics, signal processing, and robotics. They are used to manipulate and transform vectors in a way that is useful for modeling and analyzing various systems and processes.

4. How are complimentary unitary operators represented mathematically?

In linear algebra, complimentary unitary operators are represented as matrices. These matrices have the property that their inverse is equal to their transpose, which ensures that they preserve the length and angles of vectors.

5. Can complimentary unitary operators be used to solve equations?

Yes, complimentary unitary operators can be used to solve equations. In particular, they are useful for solving systems of linear equations, where the goal is to find a vector that satisfies multiple equations simultaneously. By applying complimentary unitary operators to the equations, the system can be transformed into a simpler form that is easier to solve.