Compond interest word problem

In summary, to find the original investment based on the given information of a total interest earned of $1,175.98 at a rate of 8.2% compounded semiannually for 8.5 years, one can use the formula A = P(1+i)^n and rearrange it into a linear equation to solve for P. The final result is an original investment of $1,200.
Makman

Homework Statement

If the total interest earned on an investment at 8.2% compounded semiannually for 8.5 years was $1,175.98, what was the original investment?

Homework Equations

A=P(1+i)^n

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show a little work. To get started, make a list of all the quantities (P, A, i, and n) you are given in the problem; that will show you which you need to find (and may guide you to the solution process to boot)

Thank you Statdad!

This is what I had:
n = 17
i= 0.041
P= P + $1,175.98
Am I on the right track. If I am I come out with this awkward looking formula:
P+$1,175.98 = P(1+i)^n
If this is correct then what?
Many thanks

Great!
Yes, your final line

[tex]
P + 1175.98 = P(1.041)^{17}
[/tex]

is good. If you think about this, it is simply a linear equation with [tex] P [/tex] as the variable. All you need to do is rearrange terms and solve for [tex] P [/tex].
What do you find?

Great!
Yes, your final line

[tex]
P + 1175.98 = P(1.041)^{17}
[/tex]

is good. If you think about this, it is simply a linear equation with [tex] P [/tex] as the variable. All you need to do is rearrange terms and solve for [tex] P [/tex].
What do you find?

YES! Got it. Simple algebraic manipulation. Answer is $1,200.

Thank you very much!

1. What is compound interest?

Compound interest is the interest calculated on the initial principal amount as well as the accumulated interest from previous periods. This means that the interest earned in each period is added to the principal amount, and the interest for the next period is calculated based on the new total.

2. How is compound interest different from simple interest?

Simple interest is calculated only on the initial principal amount, while compound interest takes into account the accumulated interest from previous periods. This means that compound interest will generate more interest over time compared to simple interest.

3. How do you calculate compound interest?

The formula for compound interest is: A = P (1 + r/n)^(nt), where A is the final amount, P is the principal amount, r is the annual interest rate, n is the number of times the interest is compounded per year, and t is the number of years.

4. Can compound interest be negative?

Yes, in some cases, compound interest can be negative. This can happen if the interest rate is negative or if the amount of interest earned is less than the amount of interest paid. In these cases, the final amount will be less than the initial principal amount.

5. How can compound interest be applied in real life?

Compound interest is commonly used in investments, such as savings accounts, stocks, and bonds. It can also be used for loans, where the borrower has to pay interest on the initial amount as well as the accumulated interest. Essentially, compound interest helps increase the growth of money over time.