Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Component Magnitudes

1. Nov 21, 2007 #1
    1. A hammer slides down a roof that makes a 32.0 degree angle with the horizontal.

2. a.) What are the magnitudes of the components of the hammer's velocity at the edge of the roof if it is moving at a speed of 6.25 meters per second?
    b.) Calculate the components of the hammer's velocity at the edge of the roof.

3. I drew a picture for this problem and the teacher said it was right, but I don't know what to do from there. I ended up forcing numbers and have current answers of Vy = 6.25 sin 32.0 (3.44 m/s) with a magnitude of 32 degrees and Vx = 6.25 cos 32.0 (5.21 m/s) with a magnitude of 58 degrees.

PLEASE HELP ME!! I know that what I have is wrong. I have checked my notes, the book, and classwork for a problem similar to this and I've had no luck. The teacher will not give anymore hints and my classmates haven't made any progress. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2007 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, the hammer has a horizontal velocity component of 5.21m/s and a vertical downward velocity component of 3.44m/s. You have calculated those components correctly based on the given angle; why are you including angles in your calculated velocity components?

4. Nov 21, 2007 #3
    Thanks for the help. I included the angles because I thought that they may have been the components' magnitudes.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook