Perpendicular Component of Vector A in the Plane of A and B

In summary, to find the component of vector A that is perpendicular to the direction of vector B, you can use the formula A x Sine θ, where θ is the angle between vectors A and B. This can also be represented as A cross unit vector B, which results in a vector.
Foehammer

Homework Statement

[/B]
Here are two displacements, each measured in meters:
A. 4i+5j-6k
B. -1i+2j+3k

What is the component of A that is perpendicular to the direction of B and in the plane of A and B.?

Homework Equations

The book gave me a hint to use this equation:

http://puu.sh/fFya9/3d102e2d2f.png

c being the magnitude of the result of A cross B. a and b being the magnitudes of vectors A and B.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I plugged the values into that:

c=(8.775)*(3.742)*sin(111.438)
c=30.564

I don't see how that is supposed to help me.

A cross B gives me the vector:

C=27i-6j+13k

This vector is perpendicular to the A,B plane.

Would I need to cross C by B again to get it back in the A,B plane? After doing that would I need to use this equation to find the final component part?
fd42556aaa.png

Doing that gives me:

D=-44i-94j+48k

A dot D=-934

-934=8.775*114.35*cos(phi)

phi=158.56

I think this is the angle between vectors A and D. Then is it just a*cos(158.56)

8.77*cos(158.56)=-8.17

I'm not 100% sure that is correct as I feel I messed up with being able to cross product twice to get back on the A,B plane. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the right track (I didn't check your numbers). Perhaps it is simpler to consider this: once you have vector D = B x C, find a unit vector in the direction of D. Then take the dot product of this unit vector with A. To find a unit vector in the direction of D, just divide vector D by its magnitude.

Alright here it is:

B x C=D=44i+94j-48k

D as a unit vector is:

.3849i+.8221j-.4198k

A dot D=8.169

8.169=8.775*1*cos(phi)

phi=21.418

Using this new angle it comes out to be:

8.77*cos(21.418)=8.164

So, one thing I noticed was that in my original post I did C x B and you recommended B x C. I know that the order of cross product does matter so why did you choose the order you did? I also see that finding the dot product between the two was my answer and I didn't need to use the cos(phi) formula part. So, I think my final answer is 8.164? It seems more reasonable since it isn't negative.

You don't need to calculate new angle phi. The dot product of A with a unit vector in the direction of D is the component of A in the direction of D which is what the problem asks for. Note how close your answer A dot D = 8.169 is to your final answer 8.164. The difference is round offs and you went around in a circle when you calculated that last bit.

As to why I chose B x C as opposed to C x B, the answer is that for this problem it doesn't matter. One is the negative of the other. Draw a drawing and you will see that there are two perpendiculars "to the direction of B and in the plane of A and B" as the problem specifies. One is the negative of the other. In your original post, you calculated the other solution. Note that the sum of your original angle and this angle are 158.56 + 21.418 = 180 as they should. Both of these angles are correct and the component that you are seeking is either 8.169 or -8.169 depending on which of the two perpendiculars "to the direction of B and in the plane of A and B" you choose.

Last edited:
kuruman said:
You don't need to calculate new angle phi. The dot product of A with a unit vector in the direction of D is the component of A in the direction of D which is what the problem asks for. Note how close your answer A dot D = 8.169 is to your final answer 8.164. The difference is round offs and you went around in a circle when you calculated that last bit.

As to why I chose B x C as opposed to C x B, the answer is that for this problem it doesn't matter. One is the negative of the other. Draw a drawing and you will see that there are two perpendiculars "to the direction of B and in the plane of A and B" as the problem specifies. One is the negative of the other. In your original post, you calculated the other solution. Note that the sum of your original angle and this angle are 158.56 + 21.418 = 180 as they should. Both of these angles are correct and the component that you are seeking is either 8.169 or -8.169 depending on which of the two perpendiculars "to the direction of B and in the plane of A and B" you choose.

AAhh alright. Thank you for clearing that up. I see the relationship now and it makes sense. Thanks again!

What is the component of A that is perpendicular to the direction of B .

Magnitude A x Sine θ, where θ between A and B.
ASineθ =A1Sineθ=vectot A cross unit vector B which is a vector.

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is typically represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction.

2. What are the components of a vector?

The components of a vector are the two or three numerical values that represent the magnitude of the vector in each direction. For example, a two-dimensional vector has an x-component and a y-component, while a three-dimensional vector has an x-component, y-component, and z-component.

3. How do you calculate the components of a vector?

The components of a vector can be calculated using trigonometric functions. For a two-dimensional vector, the x-component is equal to the magnitude of the vector multiplied by the cosine of the angle it makes with the x-axis, while the y-component is equal to the magnitude of the vector multiplied by the sine of the angle. For a three-dimensional vector, the x-component, y-component, and z-component can be calculated using similar formulas, taking into account the angles made with the respective x, y, and z axes.

4. What is the relationship between the components of a vector and its magnitude?

The magnitude of a vector can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the magnitude is equal to the sum of the squares of the individual components. In other words, the magnitude is the hypotenuse of a right triangle formed by the components of the vector.

5. How do you represent a vector using its components?

A vector can be represented using its components in either column or row form. In column form, the components are listed in a vertical column, while in row form, the components are listed in a horizontal row. The order of the components typically follows the convention of listing the x-component first, followed by the y-component, and then the z-component if applicable.