1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Component velocity vector

1. Dec 17, 2009 #1
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2009 #2

Päällikkö

Homework Helper

Please show your own work.

Use the Pythagorean theorem, sin2x + cos2x = 1, repeatedly.

4. Dec 17, 2009 #3
    I don't know how to start.

Yes, I figured that out from (5) but the main thing is I don't know understand as to where pythagoras needs to be used.

First of all U0 is parallel to x-axis, right? (I image a x-as to the right y axis out of the picture and z up).

5. Dec 17, 2009 #4

Päällikkö

Homework Helper

Well, I suppose you could do the problem geometrically, but I just crunched through the algebra.
    cos2a + sin2a sin2b = cos2b + (1 - cos2a) sin2b ...
    Write it out, apply the Pythagorean theorem again, regroup, Pythagorean theorem, etc.

Hope this helps?

6. Dec 17, 2009 #5
    I understand the equality but its the geometry that gives the problem, I want to know where (5) comes from!

7. Dec 24, 2009 #6
    It suprises me no one was able to help with this, from what I thought was a simple geometry, problem. Anyway I figured out myself. It turns out that you'll have to give the bar a length say L and then express each the length of the sides in alpha and beta.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook