What is the equation for finding the velocity vector of a component?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding equation number (5) using the Pythagorean theorem and the equations sin2x + cos2x = 1 and cos2a + sin2a sin2b = cos2b + (1 - cos2a) sin2b. The main focus is on understanding the geometry behind the problem and how to use Pythagorean theorem repeatedly to solve it. After some discussion, the person asking the question is able to figure out the answer by assigning a length to the bar and expressing the length of the sides in terms of alpha and beta.
Physics news on Phys.org
Please show your own work.

Use the Pythagorean theorem, sin2x + cos2x = 1, repeatedly.

Päällikkö said:
Please show your own work.
I don't know how to start.

Use the Pythagorean theorem, sin2x + cos2x = 1, repeatedly.
Yes, I figured that out from (5) but the main thing is I don't know understand as to where pythagoras needs to be used.

First of all U0 is parallel to x-axis, right? (I image a x-as to the right y-axis out of the picture and z up).

Well, I suppose you could do the problem geometrically, but I just crunched through the algebra.
cos2a + sin2a sin2b = cos2b + (1 - cos2a) sin2b ...
Write it out, apply the Pythagorean theorem again, regroup, Pythagorean theorem, etc.

Hope this helps?

Päällikkö said:
Well, I suppose you could do the problem geometrically, but I just crunched through the algebra.
cos2a + sin2a sin2b = cos2b + (1 - cos2a) sin2b ...
Write it out, apply the Pythagorean theorem again, regroup, Pythagorean theorem, etc.

Hope this helps?

I understand the equality but its the geometry that gives the problem, I want to know where (5) comes from!

It suprises me no one was able to help with this, from what I thought was a simple geometry, problem. Anyway I figured out myself. It turns out that you'll have to give the bar a length say L and then express each the length of the sides in alpha and beta.

1. What is a component velocity vector?

A component velocity vector is a mathematical representation of the velocity of an object in a specific direction. It consists of a magnitude (speed) and direction, and is typically represented by an arrow. It is used in physics and engineering to analyze the motion of objects.

2. How is a component velocity vector calculated?

A component velocity vector is calculated by breaking down the velocity of an object into its horizontal and vertical components using trigonometric functions. The magnitude of the vector is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, while the direction is determined using inverse trigonometric functions.

3. What is the difference between velocity and speed?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they have different meanings. Velocity refers to the rate of change of an object's position in a specific direction, while speed refers to the rate of change of an object's distance traveled, regardless of direction.

4. Can a component velocity vector be negative?

Yes, a component velocity vector can be negative. When an object is moving in the opposite direction of a chosen reference point, its velocity in that direction will be negative. This is represented by an arrow pointing in the opposite direction of the positive vector.

5. How is a component velocity vector used in real-world applications?

A component velocity vector is used in various real-world applications, such as in sports, transportation, and engineering. It is used to analyze the motion of objects, predict future positions, and optimize performance. It is also used in GPS systems and in air traffic control to track the velocity and direction of moving objects.