1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Components of a Vector

1. Jan 31, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A novice golfer on the green takes three strokes to sink the ball. The successive displacements of the ball are 4.00 m to the north, 2.00 m north east, and 1.00 m west of south. Starting at the the same initial point, an expert golfer could make the hole in what single displacement?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2012 #2
    get the x- and y- components of each vector. then get the summation of the x and y component.. then use

R = [itex] \sqrt{(Ʃ_{x}^2 + Ʃ_{y}^2)}[/itex]

to get the angle.. use [itex] θ = tan^-1 \frac{Ʃ_{y}}{Ʃ_{x}}[/itex]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  4. Feb 1, 2012 #3
    According to the guidelines from here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=414380

"On helping with questions: Any and all assistance given to homework assignments or textbook style exercises should be given only after the questioner has shown some effort in solving the problem. If no attempt is made then the questioner should be asked to provide one before any assistance is given. Under no circumstances should complete solutions be provided to a questioner, whether or not an attempt has been made."

If I'm still awake later, I'll give you a hint if you try to solve this first.

It would also help if you write down the equations you are given so that I can give you an answer in terms that correspond to your particular textbook.

Are you are using vector components along the x and y axes, or does your teacher want a vector expressed as a magnitude and a direction?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook