What Single Displacement Would Sink the Golf Ball for an Expert?

In summary, the novice golfer took three strokes to sink the ball, with successive displacements of 4.00 m north, 2.00 m north east, and 1.00 m west of south. To make the hole in a single displacement, the expert golfer would need to use vector components and the equation R = \sqrt{(Ʃ_{x}^2 + Ʃ_{y}^2)} to determine the angle and direction. It is also important to show effort in solving the problem before asking for assistance.
503gurl

Homework Statement

A novice golfer on the green takes three strokes to sink the ball. The successive displacements of the ball are 4.00 m to the north, 2.00 m north east, and 1.00 m west of south. Starting at the the same initial point, an expert golfer could make the hole in what single displacement?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
get the x- and y- components of each vector. then get the summation of the x and y component.. then use

R = [itex] \sqrt{(Ʃ_{x}^2 + Ʃ_{y}^2)}[/itex]

to get the angle.. use [itex] θ = tan^-1 \frac{Ʃ_{y}}{Ʃ_{x}}[/itex]

Last edited:
According to the guidelines from here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=414380

"On helping with questions: Any and all assistance given to homework assignments or textbook style exercises should be given only after the questioner has shown some effort in solving the problem. If no attempt is made then the questioner should be asked to provide one before any assistance is given. Under no circumstances should complete solutions be provided to a questioner, whether or not an attempt has been made."

If I'm still awake later, I'll give you a hint if you try to solve this first.

It would also help if you write down the equations you are given so that I can give you an answer in terms that correspond to your particular textbook.

Are you are using vector components along the x and y axes, or does your teacher want a vector expressed as a magnitude and a direction?

Last edited:

What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction.

What are the components of a vector?

The components of a vector are the parts that make up the vector's magnitude and direction. These components are usually represented as x and y values, or as i and j values in 2D vectors.

How do you find the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector can be found using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the vector's components. In other words, the magnitude is the length of the vector.

What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that has magnitude, but no direction. Examples of scalars include temperature, mass, and time. A vector, on the other hand, has both magnitude and direction, and is represented by an arrow.

How do you add or subtract vectors?

Vectors can be added or subtracted by combining their components. The x (or i) components are added or subtracted separately, and the same is done for the y (or j) components. The resulting components create a new vector with the combined magnitude and direction.