Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Components of Blood

1. Dec 31, 2007 #1
    O type blood

Blood that is donated isn't necessarily compatible even if it's O type right because of the rhesus factor? Somebody told me it was but I think maybe they were wrong?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2007 #2
    O type with a negative RH factor is compatible with all other blood types.
  4. Dec 31, 2007 #3
    Is all you need to know about how compatible the rhesus factor is in the blood included in the name of the blood type? For example with blood type O negative does the negative mean a negative RH factor? Can you tell that there is a negative RH factor just from the words O negative?
  5. Jan 1, 2008 #4
    Rh factor is a certain protein cotained in red blood cells. If you have the protein you are RH positive, if you do not you are RH negative. People with RH negative blood can not accept RH positive blood. The converse, RH positve blood can accept RH neg.

If a female with RH negative was given Rh positive they could build up anti bodies. If they later became pegnant and the fetus was a Rh pos, her antibodies could attack the fetus' blood supply. They have a anti-RH shot for this.
  6. Jan 1, 2008 #5
    As far as Type A or B, there are antigens A and B
    type A people- have the A antigens but have anti bodies for the B antigens
    type B people- have B antigens and anti bodies for A
    type AB have both antigens
    and type O have antibodies for both

O neg can receive only O neg
    O pos -- O pos, O neg
    A neg -- A neg, O neg
    A pos -- A pos, A neg, O pos, O neg
    B neg -- B neg, O neg
    B pos -- B pos, B neg, O pos, O neg
    AB neg -- AB neg, A neg, B neg, O neg
    AB pos can accept all blood types
  7. Jan 1, 2008 #6
    One thing I was wondering:

I read about a situation where they connected the blood of a young mouse up to an older mouse for 6 weeks. But they said they couldn't be done with people because it would cause problems with the immune system. Would connecting the blood of two people for 6 weeks cause them problems with their immune systems even if the blood were compatible? I mean if there was a huge age difference between the two people, would that cause an immune system problem due to the age difference? If their blood was connected for 6 weeks?
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2008
  8. Jan 3, 2008 #7
    blood transfusions you are ONLY red blood cells...

if you are connecting blood from mice, you are connecting whole blood -> includes white blood cells -> massive immune responce would quickly kill...
  9. Jan 3, 2008 #8
    What can you have transferred to you in a blood transfusion without dying?

You can transfer different things you just can't transfer whole blood at the same time?
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  10. Jan 3, 2008 #9
    When you transfer blood you receive everything red blood cells, white blood cells, platelets and plasma. You would also transfer any infectious desease
  11. Jan 3, 2008 #10
    then why would being connected to another person's bloodstream, so that both people were receiving each other's blood be fatal if the blood was compatible and disease free?
  12. Jan 3, 2008 #11
    Whole blood is rarley transfer today. it is broken down into its seperate compnents. Then only the part needed is transfered. ie- red blood cells
  13. Jan 3, 2008 #12
    So if whole blood was transferred would that be fatal? Ie if two bodies were connected up to each other, would that be fatal? Why or why not? Could drugs to lessen rejection stop it from being fatal?
  14. Jan 3, 2008 #13
    Well depending on the difference on types of blood, it probably will be fatal
    Also, if one person has any sort of disease (transmissible ones), then the other one will quickly suffer.
    There is also the clash of white blood cells, it's be interesting to see the war between them.

Can't think of any other.
  15. Jan 3, 2008 #14
    they did interhuman transfers during world war two. it is possible if the blood types are compatible. I dont know what the succes rate was
  16. Jan 3, 2008 #15
    I mean if the blood type was compatible and disease free, but every part of the blood was transferred instead of just like, red blood cells, and it was transferred for 6 weeks, would you die because of things like white blood cells in the blood?
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  17. Jan 5, 2008 #16
    Hi bioquest,
    When a unit of red cells is given it is usually transfused through a filter. There are special leukocyte (white cell) removal filters which are used for patients with a weak immune system. White cell antigens and immune response is more complicated than for red cells - one reason why they are not transfused like other blood products (red cells, platelets and plasma).
    Whole blood transfusion can work with ABO/Rh compatible blood into a reasonably healthy patient but becomes more risky after multiple transfusions as antibodies form to other blood components, particularly white cells.
    Hope this helps!
  18. Feb 14, 2008 #17
    So if 2 people shared a blood supply (Who had the same blood type and rhesus factor) for 5 weeks but didnt share white blood cells would it still be really dangerous/fatal because antigens would attach themselves to things other than white blood?
  19. Feb 14, 2008 #18

Gold Member

Dang! I'm O-neg, but I think that I have so much blood in my alcohol system that they wouldn't take me as a donor.
  20. Feb 14, 2008 #19

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry I missed this the first time around. This is incorrect. It's actually a very classic experiment to demonstrate that a substance in the blood (i.e., a hormone) is the causative factor for a particular effect, and not some other system (i.e., nervous system) controlling the response. However, this relies upon the fact that laboratory mice are highly inbred strains, so there is very little genetic variability that would lead to an immune rejection of blood transferred in this way (we can also transplant other tissues in mice without the immune rejection you'd get in a person).
  21. Feb 14, 2008 #20
    okay but if you hooked up the blood supply of two people for 5 weeks, so that they were hooked up to each other but white blood cells were not transferred ie were filtered would that kill them/how bad would that for them due to antigens attaching to things other than white blood cells
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?