Components of O Type Blood & Rhesus Factor

In summary, the rhesus factor is not always included in the name of the blood type. Rh factor is a protein cotained in red blood cells and if you have the protein you are RH positive, if you do not you are RH negative. People with RH negative blood can not accept RH positive blood. The converse, RH positve blood can accept RH neg.
Is it possible that blood provides "donor" nuclei for neurons in some way?

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=149963

This study demonstrates that although during human development Purkinje neurons are no longer generated after birth, cells within the bone marrow can contribute to these CNS neurons even in adulthood. The underlying mechanism may be caused either by generation de novo of Purkinje neurons from bone marrow-derived cells or by fusion of marrow-derived cells with existing recipient Purkinje neurons. Here we investigated whether bone marrow-derived cells could cross the blood–brain barrier and contribute to neurons in the CNS. Previous studies in mice have shown that bone marrow-derived cells can contribute to neuronal cell types in the CNS, including a class of highly specialized neurons in the brain, the Purkinje neurons (3–5

Biology news on Phys.org
frogman said:
O type with a negative RH factor is compatible with all other blood types.

Indeed type O is compatible with other blood types

So you can clone mice dogs cats etc but you can't clone whole-blood from a sample of whole blood?

bioquest said:
So you can clone mice dogs cats etc but you can't clone whole-blood from a sample of whole blood?
Red blood cells don't have any genetic material - you would have to clone bone marrow cells from any traces of bone marrow in the blood, or from stem cells.
Then grow the marrow cells and have them generate red blood cells.

If you had bone marrow/bone marrow cells could you use it in vitro to generate whole blood? Could you use anything to generate whole blood? (In vitro, outside of the body)

It's hard to keep most mammal cells alive in vitro, I think having them function and generate blood cells is pushing current technology.

But hypothetically would they be able to generate whole blood not just red & white blood cells?

So I understand that person-person blood connection would be fatal...

What are the problems it could potentially cause someone/what are the odds it would be fatal, if someone was hooked up to blood but not directly from a second person (ie from a bag) for 5 weeks?

* I realize/remember now that bone marrow doesn't generate whole blood sorry I got that confused

Last edited:
How does White Blood Cell count relate to aging? What sort of impact could/would having a high white blood cell count throughout your entire life have on aging? (Even though they don't have a synthetic white blood cell substitute yet)

Is this a valid theory what do you think about it

. The Autoimmune Theory:

The Autoimmune Theory, proposed by Dr. Roy Walford at UCLA hypothesizes that two types of white blood cells, B and T cells of the immune system weaken with age, and malfunction. B cells lose their vigor in attacking bacteria, viruses, and cancer cells, and the T cells lose their vigor in attacking cells foreign to the body, such as cancer cells and transplant cells. When B and T cells malfunction, they attack normal healthy body cells.

* I understand now that blood transfusions create a lot of problems and have upped my knowledge on them sorry about the previous confusion

Last edited:
bioquest said:
How does White Blood Cell count relate to aging? What sort of impact could/would having a high white blood cell count throughout your entire life have on aging? (Even though they don't have a synthetic white blood cell substitute yet)

Is this a valid theory what do you think about it

. The Autoimmune Theory:

The Autoimmune Theory, proposed by Dr. Roy Walford at UCLA hypothesizes that two types of white blood cells, B and T cells of the immune system weaken with age, and malfunction. B cells lose their vigor in attacking bacteria, viruses, and cancer cells, and the T cells lose their vigor in attacking cells foreign to the body, such as cancer cells and transplant cells. When B and T cells malfunction, they attack normal healthy body cells.

There is no statement of cause or effect there, merely a correlation between aging and weakening of the immune system.

On the subject of aging...

Hypothetically, Is there a way to make using antioxidants more effective than drinking or eating them, ie could you have them be put directly into your bloodstream/have them be used more directly in relation to the DNA than they are when being eaten/drunk? if so, could you expand on that?

This is my only question I think I am done asking questions but I am asking this out of interest

Is Notch one http://www.telomolecular.com/notch1.asp [Broken] the protein/what it is that caused the stem cells to be stimulated when they connect the blood of the old mouse up to the blood of the young mouse?

Last edited by a moderator: