The question: What are the components of the gab metric in Kaluza-Klein theory?

Therefore, the total number of independent components remains at 15, as required for the unification. In summary, Kaluza Klein theory unifies gravity and electromagnetism by adding a 5th dimension and reinterpreting certain components of the metric tensor. The total number of independent components remains at 15, as required for the unification.
shounakbhatta
Hello,

I am trying to understand Kaluza Klein theory on the five dimensional unification. It was mentioned over there:

" Of the 15 components of gαβ, five had to get a new physical interpretation, i.e. gα5 and g55; the components gik, i,k = 1,...,4, were to describe the gravitational field as before; Kaluza took gi5 proportional to the electromagnetic vector potential Ai"

My question is that gαβ, if I take the metric tensor of general relativity has 16 components (g00...g33). Can anybody please clarify?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Due to symmetry only 10 of the 16 components are independent. Similarly, although adding a 5th dimension gives 9 more components, only 5 are independent.

What are the components of gab metric?

The components of gab metric include the number of genes, average gene length, gene density, codon bias, and non-coding DNA content.

How is the number of genes calculated in gab metric?

The number of genes is determined by counting the number of coding sequences in the genome.

What is average gene length and how is it calculated in gab metric?

Average gene length is the average length of all the coding sequences in the genome. It is calculated by dividing the total length of all coding sequences by the number of genes.

How is gene density measured in gab metric?

Gene density is calculated by dividing the number of genes by the total length of the genome.

What is codon bias and how is it assessed in gab metric?

Codon bias is the tendency for certain codons to be used more frequently than others in the genome. It is assessed by comparing the observed frequency of codons to the expected frequency based on the genetic code.