1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Components of physiccs

1. Oct 2, 2006 #1
    the question i got was:
    will the horizontal and vertical components of a vector at 45degrees to the horizontal be larger or smaller than the vector? By how much?

so far this is what i understand the vertical and horizontal components form a right angle and the vector is the line in the middle. and what im guessing is that the horizontal component and the vector form a 45 degree angle..but thats all i understood so far...please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2006 #2
    if you imagine an XY coordinate system, imagine laying the vector on the x-axis then moving it up 45 degrees (its tail at the origin and arrow pointing down the positive x-axis). that is all it is. the way to represent the x/y components of this vector is to make a triangle out of it (with the vector being the hypotenuse). The x component is simply the base of the triangle and the Y component is the height. With a 45 degree angle the x/y components will be the same.

to find the x component of the vector take the cos(angle)*vector or sin(angle)*vector for the y component. In the case of 45 degrees the x/y components will be about 70.7% of what the vector will be

4. Oct 2, 2006 #3
    thanks man

5. Dec 7, 2008 #4
    yeah...sorry, but i dont get this..a little help?
    (im only in 7th grade tho, so lamens terms plz)

6. Dec 7, 2008 #5
    the angle is at 45°, then the resultant is the square root of 2 which equals 1.41 units. Since both sides will be 1 unit long the resultant will be 0.41 units LARGER.
    hope this helps! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?