1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Components of unit vectors

1. Mar 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A golfer takes three putts to get the ball into the hole of a level putting green. The first putt displaces the ball 2.5 m North, the second 4.8 m South-East and the third 5.7 m South-West.

Express each of these three displacements in unit vector notation where i is a unit vector pointing due East and j is a unit vector pointing due North.

E.g the first displacement is: [tex](0)i, (2.5)j[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

The first one is obvious but the other two aren't. For example for the second part the question says it is 4.8 m South-East BUT it doesn't say how many degrees due South-East. Without the angle, it is impossible for me to find the rectangular components (i.e [tex]4.8 sin(\theta), 4.8 cos(\theta)[/tex]). Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2010 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

When they say south of east or south of west the angle is always 45 degrees with east-west line.

4. Mar 20, 2010 #3
    Oh thanks! I found the three displacements in unit vector notation:

[tex]0i, 2.5j[/tex]
    [tex]3.39i, -3.39j[/tex]
    [tex]-4.03i, -4.03j[/tex]

The question then asks:

Determine the angle in degrees (measured with respect to anticlockwise rotation from an axis pointing due East of the hole) to get the ball into the hole in a single putt.

What do I need to do to answer this problem? I'm a little confused...

5. Mar 20, 2010 #4

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Find the resultant of these three vectors.
    Then tanθ = y/x

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook