1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Components of weights

1. Nov 23, 2014 #1
    Im a little confused with this question, i can't quite seem to get the hang of it. I understand that you have to use a triangle and i understand that you need to use trigonometry, but what exactly am i even working out? What is the question asking?

The image below shows the question, i am having difficulty mainly with part B (i):

579170e117432fd87bf8ac5a91c52be3.png

If the image doesn't display go here: http://i.gyazo.com/579170e117432fd87bf8ac5a91c52be3.png

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2014 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

You are looking to find the component of the weight vector that is parallel to the slope.

Vector components are usually taken to be perpendicular to each other (in a Cartesian co-ordiinate scheme). So in this case there will be a component perpendicular to the slope and one parallel to the slope, forming a right angle triangle with the weight vector as the hypotenuse.

4. Nov 23, 2014 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

##m\vec g## acts vertically downwards, right? But if you decide on a co-ordinate system which has one co-ordinate down the slope (parallel to it) and the other perpendicular to the slope then you can resolve ##m\vec g## into two components in those two directions. The sum of those two, as vectors, is completely equivalent to ##m\vec g##.
    Do you understand how to find a component of a vector at a given angle to it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted