1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Composit Function Problem

1. Feb 27, 2006 #1
    The local corner store currently sells 240 bags weekly of Snax-Treat at a price of $3.29 each. Sales predictions indicate that each 25 cent decrease in price will increase sales by 60 bags weekly. If the store pays $2.00 for each bag, what prices will maximize profit?

[tex]P(x) = (240 + 60x)[(3.29 - 2.00) - 0.25x] = -15x^2 + 17.4x + 309.6[/tex]

A maximum at 0.58. If I round up to 1 beacuse [itex]x \epsilon N[/itex] then the price must be 3.04 to maximize profit?
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think you have to assume that x is an integer.

But if you do, rounding is the right thing to do -- but the reason is nontrivial. Can you explain why? (p.s. I'm assuming you found the maximum correctly)
  4. Feb 27, 2006 #3
    Now that you mention it, and after I re-read the question, it isn't that great of an assumption.
  5. Feb 28, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

One thing I strongly recommend you do is write down explicitely what your variable represents! It was not immediately obvious to me from your equation what x represents nor why x should be an integer (especially if you get x= 0.58 for a maximum!).

I think, if I interpret your equation correctly, that x is the number of "60 bag" increases in sale per week and so also the number of "25 cent" reductions in price. If you got x=0.58 for this, then that means a reduction in price of 0.58(25)= 14.5 with an increase in sales of 0.58(60)= 34.8. You might want to check whether a reduction in price of 14 or 15 cents doesn't give the maximum.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?