1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Composite Derivative

1. Sep 24, 2007 #1
    Find the value of (f o g)' at the given value of x.

f(u)=u^5+1, u=g(x)=sqrt x, x = 1

So I found the derivate of f(u) & of u.
    f'(u)= 5u^4 & u'= 1/(2sqrt x)

Then I plugged 1 in for x in u' & got 1/2. What I don't understand is why I can't just then plug 1/2 in for u & solve.

Another example
    f(u)= 2u/(u^2+1), u=g(x)= 10x^2+x+1, x=0

Here I did the same, found the derivative of f'(u) & u'.
    f'(u) = -2u^2+2/(u^2+1)^2 & u'=20x+1

Then I plugged in zero for u' & got 1. If you then plug 1 into f'(u), you get 0. Which matches the answer in the back of the book, but the first one does not using the same technique. Somewhere I think my knowledge of the concept is incomplete. Any help would be welcome.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, when x= 1, u'= 1/2. One obvious reason why you can't "plug 1/2 in for u & solve" is that u IS not 1/2! When x= 1, u= sqrt(1)= 1. It is u' that is 1/2. By the chain rule, (fo g)'= df/du du/dx= 5(1)^4 (1/2= 5/2.

Yes, what you got for the second problem, f'(1)= 0 is correct. The problem with the first may have been distinguishing between u and u'. When x= 1, u= 1 and u'= 1/2. Use them in the correct places.
  4. Sep 24, 2007 #3
    That makes sense, thanks for the assistance.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?