Composite Fermion Approach to FQHE

In summary, David Tong discusses the Quantum Hall Effect and the composite fermion approach in his notes. He explains that a vortex has a phase of 2##\pi## and a single electron in a Laughlin state with angular momentum = m can be seen as an electron with (m-1) vortices attached to it. This is because the first term is needed for fermi statistics, while the remaining m-1 terms are vortices. The effective magnetic field for the ##\nu## = 1/2 Landau level is B* = B(1-(m-1)/m). However, when m = 1/2, B* = 2B, which raises the question of why m
hideelo
I am following David Tong's notes on the Quantum Hall Effect (https://arxiv.org/abs/1606.06687). One of the approaches he takes to the FQHE is the composite fermion approach (Section 3.3.2). There are two things I am struggling with.

First of all he says that a vortex is something around which a wavefunction picks up a phase of 2##\pi##. He then says that a single electron in the a laughlin state with angular momentum = m can be seen as an electron with (m-1) vortices attached to it. This interpretation is based on the fact that in the Laughlin wavefunction the terms are of the form ##(z_i-z_j)^m## for which he says that the first ##(z_i-z_j)## is needed for that fermi statistics, whereas the remaining m-1 terms are just vortices.

Why this distinction? Something of the form ##(z_i-z_j)^m## should have a wavefunction pick up a phase of 2##\pi##m regardless of what you call it. i.e. why isn't what he is calling an electron a vortex as well?

And this matters, in equation 3.34 when he is computing the berry phase he has the Aharanov Bohm term and then an additional 2##\pi##(m-1) for each each electron as though only the m-1 vortices contributed a phase and not the "electron". The other thing I am struggling with is the ##\nu## = 1/2 Landau level. He derives (Eqn. 3.35) that the effective magnetic field is B* = B - (m-1)n##\Phi_0## where n is the density. The density is given by n = ##\nu##B/##Phi_0##. Therefore B* = B(1-##\nu##(m-1)). A Laughlin state with angular momentum = m has filling fraction ##\nu## = 1/m so we get that B* = B(1-(m-1)/m) = B/m. How then does the ##\nu## = 1/2 filled landau level give you B* = 0 in equation 3.40?

Physics news on Phys.org
The difference is that for the ##\nu## = 1/2 filled landau level he is saying that m = 1/2 so B* = B(1-(1/2-1/2)) = B/1/2 = 2B. But why is m = 1/2? I thought the angular momentum of the Laughlin state was an integer and the corresponding filling fraction was 1/m. Thanks for any help you can provide!

1. What is the Composite Fermion Approach to FQHE?

The Composite Fermion Approach (CFA) is a theoretical framework used to understand the Fractional Quantum Hall Effect (FQHE). It proposes that in a strong magnetic field, electrons can combine with an even number of quantized vortices to form new particles called composite fermions, which behave like fermions in a reduced magnetic field. This approach has been successful in explaining many experimental observations of FQHE.

2. How does the CFA explain the FQHE?

The CFA explains the FQHE by treating the composite fermions as the fundamental particles in the system. These composite fermions experience an effective magnetic field that is reduced by the number of attached vortices. This leads to the formation of energy gaps at certain fractional filling fractions, where the composite fermions form stable Landau levels. The FQHE states are then understood as integer quantum Hall states of the composite fermions in the reduced magnetic field.

3. What are the advantages of using the CFA?

The CFA has several advantages over other theoretical approaches to FQHE. It provides a simple and intuitive picture of the FQHE, where the composite fermions behave like non-interacting particles in a reduced magnetic field. This allows for the use of well-established techniques from conventional quantum Hall physics. Additionally, the CFA can explain the FQHE at both low and high magnetic fields, whereas other approaches are limited to one regime or the other.

4. What are some limitations of the CFA?

Although the CFA has been successful in explaining many experimental observations of FQHE, it is not a complete theory. It does not provide a microscopic understanding of the formation of composite fermions or the origin of the effective magnetic field. Additionally, the CFA does not account for the effects of disorder, which can play a significant role in FQHE systems.

5. How does the CFA relate to other theoretical approaches to FQHE?

The CFA is just one of several theoretical approaches to FQHE, and it is often compared to the Laughlin and Jain theories. The Laughlin theory describes the FQHE states as incompressible liquids of electrons, while the Jain theory proposes that the FQHE arises from the formation of composite fermions at certain fractional filling fractions. The CFA can be seen as a combination of these two theories, where the FQHE states are understood as integer quantum Hall states of composite fermions.