Solve Composite Function Homework: f(g(h(x)))

In summary, the conversation discusses a mathematical problem involving f(g(h(x))) and the attempt at a solution using various functions and the question of whether restrictions need to be included for full marks. The conclusion is that the solution is correct and no restrictions need to be included unless specifically asked for.
Precursor

Homework Statement

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/543/pro3.png

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]= f(g(h(x)))[/tex]
[tex]= f(g(\sqrt{x+3}))[/tex]
[tex]= f(cos\sqrt{x+3})[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{2}{cos\sqrt{x+3}+1}[/tex]

Is this right, and am I showing enough work to get full marks? Do I need restrictions for example?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's correct and looks fine. What do you mean by restrictions?

Bohrok said:
It's correct and looks fine. What do you mean by restrictions?

I meant by the restrictions on x.

So you mean giving the (restricted) domain. You shouldn't have to include that, unless it will make you feel better by doing so. :smile: I wouldn't since the question didn't ask, and finding the domain for this one is a little involved.

Alright, I'll stick with what I have. Thanks for the help. :)

What is a composite function?

A composite function is a mathematical function that is formed by combining two or more functions. It is written in the form of f(g(x)) where the output of the inner function, g(x), becomes the input of the outer function, f(x).

How do you solve a composite function?

To solve a composite function, you need to follow the order of operations. First, evaluate the innermost function and then work your way out. Substitute the output of the inner function into the outer function to get the final result.

What is the purpose of using composite functions?

Composite functions are used to represent real-world situations where multiple functions are combined to describe a single process. They are also used in mathematics to simplify complex functions into smaller, more manageable ones.

What are some common mistakes when solving composite functions?

Some common mistakes when solving composite functions include forgetting to substitute the output of the inner function, using the wrong order of operations, and making errors in simplifying the functions.

Can composite functions be applied to any type of function?

Yes, composite functions can be applied to any type of function, including polynomials, trigonometric functions, exponential functions, and more. As long as the output of the inner function can be used as input for the outer function, a composite function can be formed.