1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Composite Functions

1. Nov 5, 2007 #1
    If i had an even fuction and i applied another even function to it, would the end result still be even?

Other questions follow the same pattern, if i had an odd function and applied another odd function to it, would it still be odd?

And suppose i had an even function and applied an odd function to it, what would it be then?

I suppose the first question is true, the next two i had simply no idea, I can't tell what would happen to functions with many terms in if i spplied other functions to it. I'm not after to prove it, because i'm aweful at that :P But something to help me figure out the answer to these questions would be very helpful!

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A function is even if f(-x)=f(x) and odd if f(-x)=-f(x). Write the composition as f(g(x)). Use whatever the rules are for f and g to compare f(g(-x)) to f(g(x)).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?