1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Composite functions

1. Sep 27, 2004 #1
    If f:A -> B and g:B -> C are functions, is this true: f o g is also a function and (f o g) ^-1 = gof

I think this isn't true, but if this isn't the case, could someone please tell me a counter example?? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2004 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

with that notation fog is not a function, gof is a function from A (to B thence) to C. but that is jsut the notational convention: functions read from right ot left. the inverse part *is* wrong. firstly that isn't function, never mind one that posses an inverse (which a function) may or may not do. So it's hard to find a counter example given that.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2004
  4. Sep 27, 2004 #3
    Thanks, but what could be a counterexample for it??

5. Sep 27, 2004 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

erm, counter example to what? g sends an element of B to an element in C, right? You cannot then follow that with a function from A to anywhere since C is not necessarily a subset of A. counter example is any function g where its image does not lie in the domain of f.

this looks a lot like homework, so i think you should be able to find a counter example if you want to; i've given you the reason why it is not necessairly true

Last edited: Sep 27, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook