Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Composite functions

1. Sep 27, 2004 #1
    If f:A -> B and g:B -> C are functions, is this true: f o g is also a function and (f o g) ^-1 = gof

I think this isn't true, but if this isn't the case, could someone please tell me a counter example?? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2004 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

with that notation fog is not a function, gof is a function from A (to B thence) to C. but that is jsut the notational convention: functions read from right ot left. the inverse part *is* wrong. firstly that isn't function, never mind one that posses an inverse (which a function) may or may not do. So it's hard to find a counter example given that.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2004
  4. Sep 27, 2004 #3
    Thanks, but what could be a counterexample for it??

5. Sep 27, 2004 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

erm, counter example to what? g sends an element of B to an element in C, right? You cannot then follow that with a function from A to anywhere since C is not necessarily a subset of A. counter example is any function g where its image does not lie in the domain of f.

this looks a lot like homework, so i think you should be able to find a counter example if you want to; i've given you the reason why it is not necessairly true

Last edited: Sep 27, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?