1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Composite functions

1. Jun 8, 2005 #1

I have to solve this problem:

Suppose that f is a continuous, vector-valued function and that T is a linear transformation on R^3. Show that "T o f" (stands for T composite f) is continuous and that INTEGRAL[T o f] = T(INTEGRAL[f]).

I think i know the general epsilon - delta proof for continuity of composite functions. The theorem states that "If f:R^n -> R^m is continuous at vector "a" and T:R^m -> R^p is continuous at f(a) then Tof:R^n ->R^p is continuous at vector a."

The proof is as follows:
    For any E>0, we want to show that there exists a d>0 such that |x-a|<d => |T(f(x)) - T(f(a)| < E.

Since T is continuous at f(a), then for E>0, there exists a d1 such that |f(x)- f(a)| < d1 => |T(f(x))-T(f(a))| < E

For f, use d1 as its "E value". Then there exists d2 > 0 such that |x-a|< d2 => |f(x)-f(a)|< d1.

Let d=d2. then:

|x-a| < d => |f(x) - f(a)| < d1

but from the continuity of T, we know |f(x)-f(a)| < d1 => |T(f(x))-T(f(a))| < E

so |x-a| < d => |f(x) - f(a)| < d1 => |T(f(x))-T(f(a))| < E
    which proves that Tof is continuous at a.

however, this proof only works if both f and T are continuous. going back to the original question, it states that f is continuous, but it doesn't say anything about the continuity of T. so how do i find whether T is continuous or not? I was just wondering, are all linear transformations continuous? also, what is the significance of the statement "T is a linear transformation on R^3" - is the fact that it's "R^3" something i need to use in my proof? i must admit i'm not very familiar with linear transformations.

also, the proof i wrote above is for continuity at a specific point a. the question just states that f is continuous - i'm assuming it's continuous everywhere. would i still use the same proof for this question?

I don't really know how to do the second part of the problem: show that INTEGRAL[T o f] = T(INTEGRAL[f]). i suspect that it has something to do with the chain rule but i only know how to use the chain rule for derivatives. how do you deal with composite functions when it comes to integrals?

any help would be great - thanks in advance!
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted