How much ice is needed to cool 31055.04J of water from 42°C to 0°C?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the heat equation and specific heat values to determine the temperature of a junction between copper and brass. It also involves the calculation of heat lost to an ice-water bath and the resulting mass of ice melted. The correct approach is to only consider the heat lost to the ice-water bath and the resulting mass of ice is 93 grams.
cwill53
Homework Statement
Two rods, one made of brass and the other made of copper, are joined end to end. The length of the brass section is 0.300m and the length of the copper section is 0.800 m. Each segment has cross-sectional area ##0.00500m^2##. The free end of the brass segment is in boiling water and the free end of the copper segment is in an ice–water mixture, in both cases under normal atmospheric pressure. The sides of the rods are insulated so there is no heat loss to the surroundings. (a) What is the temperature of the point where the brass and copper segments are joined? (b) What mass of ice is melted in 5.00 min by the heat conducted by the composite rod?
Relevant Equations
$$H=\frac{dQ}{dt}=kA\frac{T_{H}-T_{C}}{L}$$
##k_{brass}=109\frac{W}{m\cdot K}## ##k_{copper}=385\frac{W}{m\cdot K}##
My answer:

a.
$$H=\frac{dQ}{dt}$$
$$H_{brass}=H_{copper}$$
$$(109\frac{W}{m\cdot K})(0.005m^2)\frac{100^{\circ}C-T_{c}}{0.3m}=(385\frac{W}{m\cdot K})(0.005m^2)\frac{T_{H}-0^{\circ}C}{0.8m}$$
$$T_{H,Cu}=T_{C,brass}=T_{2}$$
$$-1.8166667T_{2}+181.666667^{\circ}C=2.40625T_{2}\Rightarrow T_{2}=43.02^{\circ}C$$

b.
$$\frac{dQ}{dt}=103.5168J/s\Rightarrow \delta Q=(103.5168J/s)(5 min)=31055.04J$$
##c_{ice}=2100J/(kg\cdot C^{\circ})## ##L_{f,water}=334\cdot 10^3J/kg##

$$Q_{ice}=m(2100J/(kg\cdot C^{\circ}))(42^{\circ}C)+m(334\cdot 10^3J/kg)$$

$$31055.04J=(424342J/kg)m\Rightarrow m=0.073kg$$Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your answer to a, but what relevance has 42C to part b?

haruspex said:
I agree with your answer to a, but what relevance has 42C to part b?
I just plugged the 42C in for Tc in the right hand side or Th in the left hand side to get dQ/dt...I don’t know if this is correct.
Should I have used 42C in finding the quantity of heat for ice?

No. The ice is in an ice-water bath at 0 C, and the only thing happening is that the ice at 0 C is melting to form water at 0 C. It is not heating up to 42 C. The only place where the temperature is 42 C is at the junction between the copper and the brass.

Likes cwill53
Chestermiller said:
No. The ice is in an ice-water bath at 0 C, and the only thing happening is that the ice at 0 C is melting to form water at 0 C. It is not heating up to 42 C. The only place where the temperature is 42 C is at the junction between the copper and the brass.
Thanks for that. That alone just cleared up a lot of confusion I had. That means I should only be considering the heat produced from the ice changing phase heat lost to the ice-water bath.

From that I got m= 0.093 kg= 93 g.

Last edited:
cwill53 said:
Thanks for that. That alone just cleared up a lot of confusion I had. That means I should only be considering the heat produced from the ice changing phase.

From that I got m= 0.093 kg.
I wouldn't call it heat produced. I would call it heat lost to the ice water bath. I haven't checked your math, but your approach is correct. Also, I would express the result as 93 grams.

Likes cwill53

1. How do I calculate the amount of ice needed to cool 31055.04J of water from 42°C to 0°C?

The amount of ice needed can be calculated using the specific heat capacity of water and the latent heat of fusion of ice. First, determine the change in temperature of the water (42°C to 0°C = 42°C). Then, use the specific heat capacity of water (4.186 J/g°C) to calculate the amount of energy required to cool the water (31055.04J = mass of water x 4.186 J/g°C x 42°C). Finally, divide this value by the latent heat of fusion of ice (334 J/g) to determine the mass of ice needed (31055.04J / 334 J/g = 92.9g).

2. Can I use any type of ice to cool the water?

In most cases, yes. As long as the ice is at a temperature below 0°C, it will be able to absorb heat from the water and melt. However, different types of ice may have different densities, which can affect the amount of ice needed to cool the water. It is best to use regular ice cubes or crushed ice for accurate results.

3. How long will it take for the ice to cool the water to 0°C?

The time it takes for the ice to cool the water will depend on various factors such as the temperature of the ice, the initial temperature of the water, and the amount of ice used. Generally, it will take a few minutes for the ice to melt and cool the water to 0°C. However, this can vary and it is best to monitor the temperature of the water to determine when it has reached 0°C.

4. Does the container holding the water and ice affect the amount of ice needed?

Yes, the type of container used can affect the amount of ice needed to cool the water. Containers made of materials with high thermal conductivity, such as metal, will transfer heat more efficiently and may require less ice compared to containers made of materials with low thermal conductivity, such as plastic. It is best to use a container with high thermal conductivity for more accurate results.

5. Can I reuse the melted ice to cool the water again?

Technically, yes. The melted ice will still be at a temperature below 0°C and can still absorb heat from the water. However, keep in mind that the amount of ice needed to cool the water will decrease with each use, as some of the ice will have already melted. It is best to use fresh ice for each cooling process to ensure accurate results.