Understanding Period and Frequency in Composite Sine Functions

In summary, the conversation is about the addition of two sine functions and the effect on their period and frequency. There is a discussion about the definition of frequency and a trigonometric identity is mentioned. One person asks for other relationships that could help identify the components of a graph, and the other suggests looking into Fourier series.
Cluelessness
Hey all!
I have a question concerning the addition of 2 sine functions.
Could anyone point me to the right direction as to what happens to the period and frequency when two sine functions are added together?
Note: when adding, these two functions possesses two different frequencies.
Thanks in advance! :D

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Cluelessness said:
Hey all!
I have a question concerning the addition of 2 sine functions.
Could anyone point me to the right direction as to what happens to the period and frequency when two sine functions are added together?
Note: when adding, these two functions possesses two different frequencies.
Thanks in advance! :D

I know what period of a trigonometric function is, but I can't say the same of "frequency" though

this seems to be a term from physics related to the inverse of the function's argument times [itex]2\pi[/itex] ...

Anyway, we have the trigonometric identity [itex]\sin x+\sin y=2\sin \frac{x+y}{2}\cos\frac{x-y}{2}[/itex] .

DonAntonio

Thanks DonAntonio :D
But do you happen to know any other relationships apart from Simpsons' or Werner's?
My dilemma is, given a graph, how would you figure out what it is made up of? i.e what sine functions were added to produce that graph?
I just need a hint - do you happen to know any thing else which could help me?

Hi there! Great question. When adding two sine functions, the period and frequency of the resulting composite function will depend on the specific frequencies and phases of the individual sine functions being added. If the two frequencies are the same, the resulting function will have the same period and frequency as the individual functions. However, if the frequencies are different, the resulting function will have a new frequency that is the sum of the two individual frequencies. The period of the resulting function will also change accordingly. It is important to note that the phases of the individual functions can also affect the resulting function, so it is important to consider all factors when adding composite sine functions. I hope this helps!

1. What are composite sine functions?

Composite sine functions are mathematical functions that are created by combining two or more sine functions together. This is achieved by plugging in the output of one sine function into another sine function, creating a composite function.

2. How are composite sine functions different from regular sine functions?

Composite sine functions are different from regular sine functions because they involve multiple sine functions being combined together to create a new function. Regular sine functions only involve one sine function.

3. What is the purpose of composite sine functions?

The purpose of composite sine functions is to model more complex and varied functions by combining simpler sine functions. This allows for more accurate and precise representation of real world phenomena.

4. What are some examples of composite sine functions?

Some examples of composite sine functions include the product of two sine functions, the sum or difference of two sine functions, and the composition of two sine functions. For example, f(x) = sin(x) + sin(2x) or g(x) = sin(sin(x)).

5. What are the properties of composite sine functions?

Composite sine functions inherit the properties of the individual sine functions that make up the composite. This includes properties such as period, amplitude, and phase shift. Additionally, composite sine functions also have their own unique properties, such as the number of peaks and valleys and the location of those peaks and valleys.