1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Composite sine functions

1. Apr 21, 2012 #1
    Hey all!
    I have a question concerning the addition of 2 sine functions.
    Could anyone point me to the right direction as to what happens to the period and frequency when two sine functions are added together?
    Note: when adding, these two functions possess two different frequencies.
    Thanks in advance! :D

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2012 #2

I know what period of a trigonometric function is, but I can't say the same of "frequency" though

this seems to be a term from physics related to the inverse of the function's argument times [itex]2\pi[/itex] ...

Anyway, we have the trigonometric identity [itex]\sin x+\sin y=2\sin \frac{x+y}{2}\cos\frac{x-y}{2}[/itex] .

DonAntonio

4. Apr 21, 2012 #3
    Thanks DonAntonio :D
    But do you happen to know any other relationships apart from Simpsons' or Werner's?
    My dilemma is, given a graph, how would you figure out what it is made up of? i.e what sine functions were added to produce that graph?
    I just need a hint - do you happen to know any thing else which could help me?

5. Apr 21, 2012 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook