1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Composition of Beta Particles

1. Apr 20, 2012 #1
    Does a Beta(?) Particle as a whole, comprise electrons and anti-neutrino?? or just a electron??

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2012 #2
    A beta particle consists of only an electron, but beta decay also produces an (electron?) antineutrino. I think.

4. Apr 20, 2012 #3
    Ok..
    Do you mean that the nuclear decay is further followed by the decay of the radioactive emission?

and yes, i would also like to know that, what do we mean when we say that
    "A weak force exists between a antineutrino and a electron in a beta particle and they interact with the same weak force"

I want to know what this interaction is all about..?(What happens during such 'interactions'?)

5. Apr 20, 2012 #4
    I haven't studied the weak force very rigorously, so I can't answer your second, but the first, I don't think so. Beta decay releases two things: a beta particle (electron) and an antineutrino.

6. Apr 20, 2012 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

A beta particle is an electron. They're simply two different names for the same thing.

In beta decay, a neutron changes into a proton, and an electron (beta particle) and antineutrino are created. The electron and antineutrino do not exist before the decay, inside the neutron or elsewhere.

7. Apr 20, 2012 #6
    Thanks!!!
    Can you answer my second question about the beta particle and antineutrino interaction by weak forces??

8. Apr 20, 2012 #7
    Thanks man..! :D

9. Apr 20, 2012 #8

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Particles get destroyed and produced. There is no deeper level here, they just can do this, and there are equations which allow to calculate this.
    It can be shown as Feynman graph with a virtual particle (the W boson) in between, but I doubt that this is what you are looking for.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook