1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Composition of Functions help please!

1. Apr 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find g(x) if f(x) = (3x-1)/(2x+5) and f(g(x)) = (x+9)/(12x-11)

2. Relevant equations
    N/A, as far as I know

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried doing it as though g(x) = y and it turned out like this:
    (3y-1)/(2y+5)=(x+9)/(12x-11)
    I very quickly saw that that wouldn't work though, so I'm kind of lost. This is independent work in order for me to be able to go into pre-calc, so while I can ask a teacher it is difficult to find time, hence why I'm relying on you guys :) Help would be much appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2012 #2
    Think about it like this: you have f(x), and you have f(x) in the specific case when x=g(x), what you are looking for is what does x have to be in f(x) to give f(g(x)).

So, what does x have to be exchanged with in (3x-1)/(2x+5) to give (x+9)/(12x-11)

4. Apr 12, 2012 #3
    Well, I already got that part of the logic which is why I set g(x) equal to y, but it didn't work, so I don't understand how to get it to work.

5. Apr 12, 2012 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Maybe you can find [itex]f^{-1}(y)[/itex]??

That is, set

[tex]y=\frac{3x-1}{2x+5}[/tex]

and try to find x in function of y.

6. Apr 12, 2012 #5
    Ok, I just went through the math and its a bit of a long haul. Should be fairly easy but its tedious.

What you want to do is take your f(x) function, replace x with g(x), set it equal to your f(g(x)) function and then solve for g(x).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook