How to Solve a Composition of Functions g(f(x))?

You should have stopped at 2(x- 4)+ 4.In summary, the conversation discusses finding a possible combination of f(x) and g(x) for the equation g(f(x)) = 2/(1/x-4)+4, with possible solutions being f(x) = 1/(x-4) and g(x) = 2/x + 4. The conversation also provides a simplified form of g(f(x)) = 2x-4.
Ebone_Love
g(f(x))=\( g(f(x))=2/(1/x-4)+4 \)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Ebone_Love said:
What is your question? If it's to find a possible combination of f(x) and g(x), then
\(\displaystyle f(x) = \dfrac{1}{x} - 4\)

and
\(\displaystyle g(x) = \dfrac{2}{x} + 4\)
will do the trick.

-Dan

Thank you, but I already know f(x) and g(x). I am trying to solve the equation for \( g(f(x)) \)

I need help solving the written part of the question in the attached photo.

Attachments

• 20210627_212029.jpg
    20210627_212029.jpg
    373.3 KB · Views: 69
You have g(f(x)). What are you trying to "solve?" Are you trying to graph it? Make a table?

\(\displaystyle
\begin{array}{ l c r } x & f(x) & g(x) \\ -2 & -1/6 & -8 \\ -1 & -1/5 & -6 \\ 0 & -1/4 & -4 \\ 1 & -1/3 & -2 \\ 2 & -1/2 & 0 \\ \end{array}
\)Also: g(f(x)) = 2/( 1/(x - 4) ) + 4. You need an extra set of parenthesis.

-Dan

I am so sorry I forgot what I wanted to say 😂, which was that I wanted to simplify g(f(x)).

Then you have to put $f(x) $ in $g(f(x))$ and solve. Considering the picture you have sent $f(x) = $ $1 \over (x-4)$ and $g(x)=$ $2 \over x$ $+4$
so we have $g(f(x))= 2(x-4) + 4 = 2x + 4$

Thank you topsquark.

Ebone_Love said:
$\frac{2}{\frac{1}{x}- 4}+ 4= \frac{2}{\frac{1}{x}- \frac{4x}{x}}+ 4= \frac{2}{\frac{1-4x}{x}}+ 4= \frac{2x}{1- 4x}+ 4$.

That would satisfy me but you could continue as
$\frac{2x}{1- 4x}+ \frac{4(1- 4x)}{1- 4x}= \frac{2x+ 4- 16x}{1- 4x}= \frac{4- 14x}{1- 4x}$.

DaalChawal said:
Then you have to put $f(x) $ in $g(f(x))$ and solve. Considering the picture you have sent $f(x) = $ $1 \over (x-4)$ and $g(x)=$ $2 \over x$ $+4$
so we have $g(f(x))= 2(x-4) + 4 = 2x + 4$
No, 2(x- 4)+ 4= 2x- 8+ 4= 2x- 4.

1. What is a composition of functions?

A composition of functions is a mathematical operation where the output of one function is used as the input for another function. It is denoted by (f ∘ g)(x) and can be read as "f of g of x".

2. How do you find the composition of two functions?

To find the composition of two functions, substitute the inner function into the outer function. For example, if f(x) = 2x and g(x) = x + 1, then (f ∘ g)(x) = f(g(x)) = 2(x + 1) = 2x + 2.

3. What is the domain and range of a composition of functions?

The domain of a composition of functions is the set of all inputs for which the composition is defined. The range is the set of all possible outputs of the composition. It is important to note that the range of a composition may be different from the range of either individual function.

4. Can the order of functions be changed in a composition?

Yes, the order of functions can be changed in a composition. However, the resulting composition may be different. In general, (f ∘ g)(x) ≠ (g ∘ f)(x).

5. What is the significance of composition of functions in real life?

Composition of functions is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It allows us to model complex systems by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable functions. For example, in economics, the production function is a composition of multiple functions that represent the inputs, outputs, and technology used in the production process.