Can a Function be Composed with Itself to Solve a Differential Equation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of finding a function f that satisfies the equation f = f o g, where g is a given function. It is determined that if g(x) = x, any function f(x) will work, but if g(x) is not equal to x, then f(x) must be a constant function. The conversation then explores the possibility of extending this problem to functions with more variables or generalized operations, but it is concluded that further investigation is needed. Finally, it is discovered that the problem can be solved by treating it as a differential equation, and the solution is found.
mnb96
This might be a silly question:

given a function [tex]g[/tex] is it possible to find a function [tex]f[/tex] such that [tex]f = f \circ g[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
mnb96 said:
This might be a silly question:

given a function [tex]g[/tex] is it possible to find a function [tex]f[/tex] such that [tex]f = f \circ g[/tex]?

f=const.

That is the trivial solution. Perhaps there are others?

f(x) = f(g(x)) if...

f(x) = c, c constant.
g(x) = x, f any function.

If these two conditions don't hold, though...

Assume f has an inverse function. For instance, if f(x) = 2x, then (inv f)(x) = x/2. Then

f = f o g
<=>
f(x) = f(g(x))
<=>
x = g(x).

So if f has an inverse, g must equal x if f = f o g.

So you'd only be looking for functions which don't have an inverse.

But what we have is a little stronger than that, no? Since my argument makes no reference to intervals, it must be true on any interval. So g = x if you want a function f which is invertible over any interval.

The only function which is not invertible over any interval is - you guessed it - constant functions.

So, in summary:

if g(x) = x, then any function f(x) will do.

Otherwise, f(x) = c , c constant, is the only solution.

What about functions of more variables? Or generalized operations like differentiation? No idea.

If g(x)=x Then f(x) can be anything.

Let
g(n)=2n

Then f(n) can map even numbers to one constant and odd numbers to a different constant. (At least it works if n is discrete). Not sure if it works in the continuous case but I think it might.

Last edited:
csprof2000 said:
So, in summary:

if g(x) = x, then any function f(x) will do.

Otherwise, f(x) = c , c constant, is the only solution.

What about the following examples?
a) f(x)=abs(x), g(x)=-x
b) f(x)=cos(x), g(x)=x+2pi

Good point.

I guess then that my argument only works for functions which don't have an inverse where Domain(inv f) = Range(f). This, naturally, precludes functions such as abs(x) and cos(x)...

So I guess more though will have to be put into functions which are not bijections.

Thanks a lot. You all made very good observations that helped me a lot.
BTW, it seems that if the function f admits an inverse there are not many choices, while if the function f is not invertible, many solutions exist but the problem is non-trivial, and it is difficult to say what kind of functions f and g would have to be, in order to satisfy f(x)=f(g(x)).

At the moment I am trying to solve the following (similar) problem:

[tex]f = (f \circ g) g'[/tex]
where g is invertible, and g' denotes its derivative

If you find it interesting, suggestions are always welcome.
Thanks!

Well, similar suggestions - cases - are possible.

Assume f(x) = c, c constant. Then c = cg', g' = 1, and g = x + k, k constant.

Assume f(x) = x. Then x = gg', gdg = xdx, and (g^2)/2 = (x^2)/2 + k, k constant.

Assume f(x) = x^n. Then x^n = g^n g', g^n dg = x^n dx, [1/(n+1)]g^(n+1) = [1/(n+1)]x^(n+1) + k, k constant

Wow, that's an alright result. So for x to any power at all, it's possible. Is is true for any polynomial? Yes, it seems like it should be. So... for any polynomial, I believe you can use the above formula to reduce it.

f(x) = cos x, cos x = (cos g)g', (cos x)dx = (cos g)dg, sin(x) = sin(g) + k.

It seems like, unless I'm mistaken, this is the same thing every time:

f(x) = f(g(x))g'(x) is the same as solving the differential equation f(x)dx = f(g(x))dg.

So, as long as f is integrable, the problem is actually quite easy. Maybe I'm wrong. Thoughts?

csproof2000: I think you just made it!
You gave the solution to the problem, and for some reason I didn't immediately spot that what I was trying to do is actually solving a differential equation.
Thanks a lot you all...you made very helpful observations!

1. What is the definition of composition of functions?

The composition of two functions, f and g, is a new function defined by (f∘g)(x) = f(g(x)). In other words, the output of g becomes the input for f.

2. How do you express composition of functions algebraically?

To express the composition of two functions, you write the inner function first and then plug it into the outer function. For example, if f(x) = 2x and g(x) = x+1, then (f∘g)(x) = f(g(x)) = f(x+1) = 2(x+1) = 2x+2.

3. What is the difference between composition of functions and multiplication?

Composition of functions is not the same as multiplication. In composition, the output of one function becomes the input for the other, while in multiplication, the two functions are multiplied together. Additionally, the order of the functions matters in composition, while it does not matter in multiplication.

4. Can you compose more than two functions together?

Yes, you can compose any number of functions together. The general rule is that you start with the innermost function and work your way outwards, following the order of operations.

5. How is composition of functions useful in real life?

Composition of functions is useful in many areas of science and technology, such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It allows us to break down complex systems into simpler parts and analyze their behavior. It is also used in everyday situations, such as calculating taxes or calculating compound interest.