1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Composition of Functions

1. Aug 26, 2009 #1
    I have a homework problem as follows:

Let f(x) = 2x, (-inf < x < inf). Can you think of functions g and h which satisfy the two equations g \circ f = 2gh and h \circ f = h^2 - g^2?

I know that g \circ f = g(f(x)), which then = g(2x) for the first question. I can't figure out how to work the h in there.

Help, please! Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So you have g(2x)=2*g(x)*h(x) and h(2x)=h(x)^2-g(x)^2, right? I really can't think of any way to actually solve for g(x) and h(x). You should probably treat it as a guessing game. Have you ever seen formulas like that before? Hint: think of trig functions.

4. Aug 27, 2009 #3
    The problem I am having is more basic than that. I can't see how to work the h into the first equation. In other words, if I have g composed with f, how does the function h enter into it at all? Thank you.

5. Aug 27, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't have to 'work it in' at all. You have g(f(x))=2*g(x)*h(x), right? Since f(x)=2x that's just g(2x)=g(x)*h(x). That's your first equation. There's not much else to do with it.

6. Aug 28, 2009 #5
    Pay attention to what dick said, he pretty much gave you the answer.
    If you look at a table of trig identities, you will happen to come across 2 that look extremely similar to your problem.

Don't feel bad, I had this same about a week ago and it took me like 5 days to figure it out. And i was so mad because it was this simple. Oh well, that's how math is.

[physics/math double major OLE MISS] HOTTY TODDY!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  7. Aug 31, 2009 #6
    Thank you both! Duh. The trig identities did it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook