1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Composition of functions

1. May 8, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let f: A→B and g: B→C both be bijections. Prove that the composed function fog is also a bijection. Write (fog)-1 in terms of f-1 and g-1.

2. Relevant equations

fog = f(g(x))

3. The attempt at a solution

I know what the composed function means and what bijective means (one-to-one). I can do these problems when I have values for f(x) and g(x) but I'm having trouble with this type of problem. I nod in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2014 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

If [itex]f: A \to B[/itex] and [itex]g: B \to C[/itex] then the composition of the two which makes sense is [itex]g \circ f : A \to C : x \mapsto g(f(x))[/itex].

A bijection is both an injection and a surjection. Have you shown that a composition of injections is an injection, and a composition of surjections is a surjection?

Alternatively, you could exhibit an inverse of [itex]g \circ f[/itex] in terms of the inverses of [itex]g[/itex] and [itex]f[/itex].

4. May 8, 2014 #3
    First of all thanks, and I made a mistake in the question which I changed ie. the composed function was a square but now an inverse.

Secondly, the question asked for fog not gof?

Injectivity: If x,y [itex]\in[/itex]A and g(f(x))=g(f(y)) then f(x)=f(y) and x=y

Surjectivity: If c [itex]\in[/itex]C then g(b)=c and f(a)=b

Hence g(f(a))=g(b)=c

Is that sufficient to prove its a bijection?

And how do I write Write (fog)-1 in terms of f-1 and g-1?

5. May 8, 2014 #4
    Yes, the logic and solution is fine. Just justify the parts where you assume a certain property of a function, so that the reader(grader) knows that you understand what your doing at each step. So instead of saying f(x)=f(y),x=y.
    Instead say f(x)=f(y) implies x=y because the function f is bijective.

6. May 11, 2014 #5
    Ok thanks for the help :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted