1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Composition of hydrates

1. May 14, 2008 #1
    when you have .283 moles of water and .503 moles of copper sulfate, how do you find the mole ratio between the water and coopper sulfate????

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2008 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Dividing the numbers.

I don't think that's the answer you are looking for, but I have no idea what the real question is.

4. May 14, 2008 #3

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

You need to multiply or divide (EXCLUSIVE OR) the ratio by 1 so that each part is a natural number, or as close to natural numbers as reasonably possible.

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  5. May 14, 2008 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I am sure that's not what you have aimed at. Multiplying or dividing by 1 doesn't change the situation :wink:

My first idea was too that sweet should look for integer ratio, but numbers shown (283/503) lead nowhere.

6. May 14, 2008 #5

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

1 is a rational number which can be expressed as N/N for any real number N.

I did not actually try to solve the original poster's question; only offered a commonly used suggestion. If he is trying to process experimental measurements, some of the data could have errors, even somewhat small errors.

7. May 15, 2008 #6
    ok, I think i got it now, we had to use emperical formulas, my teacher helped me out a little bit, now i think i know what Im doing......:uhh:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?