Composition Series for Direct Products

In summary, when finding composition series for a direct product, all possible combinations of composition series for the individual groups must be considered. The order of the factors does not matter. For the group Z15xZ6, the possible composition series are Z15xZ6 > Z5xZ3 > {0,0}, Z15xZ6 > Z5xZ2 > {0,0}, Z15xZ6 > Z3xZ3 > {0,0}, Z15xZ6 > Z3xZ2 > {0,0}, Z6xZ15 > Z2xZ5 > {0,0}, and Z6xZ15 > Z3xZ5 > {0
Cryptography

Homework Statement

Write down all composition series for the group Z15xZ6 (the direct product of the groups of integers modulo 15 and 6), and then by considering the composition series, give a list of composition factors.

2. The attempt at a solution

I understand how to give composition series for individual groups:

e.g. for Z15:

Z15 > Z5 > {0}
and
Z15 > Z3 > {0}

and I understand that the composition factors are the possible factor groups i.e. Z3 and Z5

But for a direct product I'm a little confused.

I know that if A is a subgroup of G and B is a subgroup of H, then AxB is a subgroup of GxH. So does this mean that the composition series for Z15xZ6 are:

1) Z15xZ6 > Z5xZ3 > {0,0}
2) Z15xZ6 > Z5xZ2 > {0,0}
3) Z15xZ6 > Z3xZ3 > {0,0}
4) Z15xZ6 > Z3xZ2 > {0,0}

and that the composition factors for each one respectively are:

1) Z3xZ2, Z5xZ3
2) Z3xZ3, Z5xZ2
3) Z5xZ2, Z3xZ3
4) Z5xZ3, Z3xZ2 ?

Sorry if I've done something completely wrong and thank you very much for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Your attempt at a solution is almost correct. However, there are a few things to consider when finding composition series for a direct product.

Firstly, remember that for a direct product, the order of the factors does not matter. So, for example, Z15xZ6 is the same as Z6xZ15. Therefore, your composition series should also include the following:

5) Z6xZ15 > Z2xZ5 > {0,0}
6) Z6xZ15 > Z3xZ5 > {0,0}

Secondly, when finding composition series for a direct product, you need to consider all possible combinations of composition series for the individual groups. In your attempt, you have only considered one composition series for Z15 and one for Z6, but there are actually more possibilities.

So, the complete list of composition series for Z15xZ6 would be:

1) Z15xZ6 > Z5xZ3 > {0,0}
2) Z15xZ6 > Z5xZ2 > {0,0}
3) Z15xZ6 > Z3xZ3 > {0,0}
4) Z15xZ6 > Z3xZ2 > {0,0}
5) Z6xZ15 > Z2xZ5 > {0,0}
6) Z6xZ15 > Z3xZ5 > {0,0}

And the corresponding composition factors would be:

1) Z3xZ2, Z5xZ3
2) Z3xZ3, Z5xZ2
3) Z5xZ2, Z3xZ3
4) Z5xZ3, Z3xZ2
5) Z2xZ3, Z5xZ5
6) Z3xZ2, Z5xZ5

I hope this helps clarify things for you. Remember, when finding composition series for a direct product, make sure to consider all possible combinations and also keep in mind that the order of the factors does not matter. Good luck with your studies!

What is a composition series for direct products?

A composition series for direct products is a way of decomposing a group into smaller, simpler groups. It is a series of normal subgroups, where each subgroup is a direct factor of the group, and the quotient group at each step is simple (has no non-trivial normal subgroups).

How is a composition series for direct products different from a normal composition series?

In a normal composition series, the quotient groups are all simple. In a composition series for direct products, the quotient groups are all direct products of simple groups.

Why is it useful to have a composition series for direct products?

A composition series for direct products allows us to break down a complicated group into simpler, more manageable parts. This can make it easier to study the structure and properties of the group, and can also be useful in proving theorems and solving problems.

How do you find a composition series for a given group?

Finding a composition series for a given group can be a difficult task. One approach is to use the Jordan-Hölder theorem, which states that all composition series for a group have the same length and the same composition factors (up to isomorphism). Another approach is to use specific techniques and properties of the group to construct a composition series.

Can a group have more than one composition series for direct products?

Yes, a group can have multiple composition series for direct products. This is because there can be different ways of decomposing a group into direct products of simpler groups. However, all composition series for direct products for a given group will have the same length and the same composition factors.