Compositions Of 2 Relations, one is the Entire Plane

In summary, the conversation discusses the compositions of two relations, R and S, which are defined as R= R^2 and S= {(x,y) : y=x^3}. The attempt at a solution involves finding the composition of R and S, as well as S and R, and determining the resulting graphs. It is concluded that the graph for R of S will be a succession of vertical lines, while S of R is more complicated and may result in all real numbers for the final graph. However, further clarification is needed to determine if any restrictions can be placed on the variables to prevent the graphs from being the entire plane.
teroenza

Homework Statement

Sketch the compositions

S of R

R of S

Homework Equations

The relations to be... "composition'ed?".
R= R^2, the XY plane, i.e. {(x,y)}, the set pf all (x,y)

S= {(x,y) : y=x^3}, set of all (x,y) such that y=x^3

For example

R of S = {(a,c) : [itex]\exists[/itex]b such that a^3=b and {(b,c)}}

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel it should end up being all of R^2, but this seems too simple. For R of S, S maps a into[itex]\sqrt[3]{b}[/itex], then R maps b into, c. But that c is all real numbers. I have done these before, and the teacher wants a graph of a as x, and c as y. Because c will be all real for each b, this will be a succession of vertical lines. But I can see no restrictions on a to prevent the final graph from just being all of the plane (the ac place now).

Physics news on Phys.org
For S of R, it's more complicated, I think. S maps (a,b) into (\sqrt[3]{a},b). Then R maps that into c. I can't see how to restrict a to prevent the final graph from just being all of the plane (the bc place now).I feel like I'm missing something. Please help.

1. What is the definition of a composition of two relations?

A composition of two relations is a mathematical operation that combines two relations to create one new relation. This new relation contains all ordered pairs that can be formed by taking an element from the first relation and an element from the second relation.

2. How is a composition of two relations represented?

A composition of two relations is typically represented using the symbol "◦" or a small circle. For example, if we have two relations R and S, the composition of R and S would be written as R ◦ S.

3. Can a composition of two relations be applied to any two relations?

No, not all relations can be composed. In order for a composition to be possible, the first relation must have the same set of output values (codomain) as the input values (domain) of the second relation.

4. What is the difference between a composition of two relations and a composition of functions?

A composition of two relations is a generalization of a composition of functions. In a composition of functions, the output of one function is used as the input for another function. In a composition of two relations, the output of one relation is used as the input for another relation, but the two relations do not necessarily have to be functions.

5. How is the composition of two relations related to the concept of function composition?

The composition of two relations is closely related to the concept of function composition. In fact, if both relations are functions, then the composition of the two relations is equivalent to the composition of the two functions. However, in the more general case of two relations, the composition may not always result in a function.