Compound Charging with Two Turbos: Benefits & Possibilities

• Thread starter thetacoman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charging
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of compound charging with two turbos, with one blowing into another. The benefits of this setup, such as efficiency and a better power curve, are mentioned. The person is considering this setup for their 2.7 liter inline 6 engine and is currently running a single turbo setup with methanol injection. They are also considering a wasted spark setup with new turbos. The conversation also mentions experience with this type of setup on a different car and the potential tradeoff between top end power and lag. The person is seeking advice and considering reaching out to Corky Bell for input. It is noted that modern turbos have advanced to the point where compound charging may not be necessary except for extremely high horsepower
thetacoman
Hi, I am currently seeking advice and looking into the idea of compound charging with two turbos. One blowing into another.
Here is a basic article on the subject.
Link
I am currently running a single turbo setup with methanol injection on a 2.7 liter inline 6. I know the benefits of having a smaller turbo and a large turbo would be having the efficiency of both without one running out of steam so to speak.
Now is this a plausible way to have a better power curve at lower boost such as 20psi? I am at 15psi currently, my ignition system is limiting this, but with new turbos will come a wasted spark setup.
Having some experience with this engine, it made quite a bit of peak power with a gt35 turbonetics on a different car(same motor but 2.5l). However it had a lot of lag and wasnt the greatest to drive around town. What I am chasing is the top end of a bigger turbo with the kick of a lower turbo.

Any thoughts on this at all? I am reading Corky Bell's Maximum boost again, I've been thinking aobut contacting him if its even possible to ask him questions.
https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1/971415_638484452829522_638901057_n.jpg
https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/t1/1175685_638307082847259_968664043_n.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
Turbos have come such a long way that there is almost no need for it except for usage on small cubic inch engines that make insane horsepower.

I'm talking about 1000+hp 2 liter Mitsubishi engines and such.

1. What is compound charging with two turbos?

Compound charging with two turbos is a method of forced induction used in automotive engines. It involves using two turbochargers in series, with one smaller turbo (called the "low-pressure" or "LP" turbo) feeding into a larger one (called the "high-pressure" or "HP" turbo). This allows for increased power and efficiency compared to a single turbo setup.

2. What are the benefits of compound charging with two turbos?

The benefits of compound charging with two turbos include increased power and torque, improved engine efficiency, and reduced turbo lag. The LP turbo is able to spool up quickly, providing boost at lower engine speeds, while the HP turbo takes over at higher speeds to maintain boost pressure. This results in a broader power band and improved overall performance.

3. Are there any drawbacks to compound charging with two turbos?

One potential drawback of compound charging with two turbos is increased complexity and cost. The additional components and plumbing required can add weight and complexity to the engine. Additionally, the tuning and maintenance of two turbos may be more challenging and expensive.

4. Is compound charging with two turbos suitable for all types of engines?

No, compound charging with two turbos may not be suitable for all types of engines. It is typically used in high-performance applications, such as racing or high-end sports cars. The engine must be designed to handle the increased stress and heat generated by the two turbos.

5. Are there any other possibilities for compound charging with two turbos?

Yes, there are several other possibilities for compound charging with two turbos. Some manufacturers have experimented with using an electric motor to assist the LP turbo at low speeds, known as an electrically assisted turbocharger. There is also the potential for using a variable geometry turbo (VGT) for the HP turbo, allowing for more precise control of boost pressure.

Back