1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compound functions

1. May 1, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Sketch sin (1/x), x sin (1/x) and x^2 sin (1/x) and show they are discontinuous at x=0.

3. The attempt at a solution

I *know* how to do this problem with the usual curve sketching methods (important points, asymptotes, turning points, "tends to") but my book has a method that involves breaking the compound function into smaller ones. I don't know how to break x sin (1/x) into compound functions, though. I don't think it's necessary to totally break it down anyway since the graphs all have about the same shape.

I can do sin (1/x)... I think... do check my solution too.

y = f(x) = sin (1/x)
    w = g(x) = 1/x
    u = h(x) = sin w

sin w can reach 1 when w = π/2, 5π/2... and -1 when w = 3π/2, 7π/2...
    and is 0 for any integral multiple of π.

Substituting for x, sin (1/x) reaches

1 when x = 2/π, 2/5π...
    -1 when x = 2/3π, 2/7π...
    0 for x = 1/kπ and k is any integer.

Deduce that f(x) tends to slightly below 0 at negative infinity and slightly above 0 at positive infinity.

Also substitute values for x = 1/kπ: 1/π, 1/2π, 1/3π, 1/4π

When plotting a graph the intervals between successive 0s become smaller to negligible. Formula for 1, -1 also have similar form, so values for -1, 1 and 0 cluster as x tends towards 0 (or k tends towards infinity). By inspection the values oscillate between 1, 0 and -1, and that describes the graph of sin (1/x). Graph is discontinuous for 1/x at x=0.

I could do the rest using calculus, but I'm told there may be no need to (or told this so that I have to do everything the long way). The values for 0 should be at the same value for x in all 3 equations. I *know* that the y values of the turning points are not the same, but that's after differentiation.

Last edited: May 1, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2007 #2
    Calculus method: differentiating the latter two expressions gives is

f(x) = x sin (1/x)
    f'(x) = sin(1/x) - (1/x) cos(1/x)

g(x) = x^2 sin (1/x)
    g'(x) = 2x sin(1/x) - cos(1/x)

when f'(x), g'(x) = 0

tan(1/x)=1/x for f(x)
    tan(1/x)=1/2x for g(x)

We can get these values at our own leisure (isn't this fun...) by substituting for 1/x, eg

h(v) = tan v - v
    j(u) = tan u - 0.5v

and applying the Newton-Raphson iterative method. That's pretty tedious, considering that the function oscillates an infinite number of times as it tends to 0, which is why I'm seeking a non-calculus solution. I don't *need* to know where the points are specifically. I've deduced graph shapes and the coordinates of all points where y=0, the final bit is how the turning point coordinates vary.

4. May 1, 2007 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you've deduced graph shapes you should know x*sin(1/x) and x^2*sin(1/x) are continuous at 0, aside from the technicality that they aren't defined there.

5. May 2, 2007 #4
    I know that, Dick... all 3 equations have the term sin (1/x), which is undefined at 0. But I also have to sketch the three curves, of which I have done one. I know the points where y=0 for all three curves, and how they look like, but the problem is the the turning points.

6. May 2, 2007 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you only need a rough sketch of the function. No need to compute exact turning points etc. There are a infinite number of them...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?