Compound Interest Problem: When Will Mr. Weasley's Liabilities Be Cancelled?

In summary, the question is asking when a payment of 300,000 galleons will cancel Mr. Weasley's liabilities to Gringott's Bank of 100,000 galleons due after 2 years and 150,000 galleons due after 5 years, given that the effective rate is 12%. To solve this, we can use the formula w = u + v, where w is the present value of the payment, u is the present value of the 100,000 galleons, and v is the present value of the 150,000 galleons. Using logs, we can determine the values of u and v, and then solve for w to find the date when the payment
pixie
Can anyone help me with this problem? I'm stuck

When will a payment of 300,000 galleons cancel Mr. Weasley’s liabilities to Gringott’s Bank of 100,000 galleons due after 2 years and 150,000 galleons due after 5 years if money is worth at an effective rate of 12%?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
pixie said:
When will a payment of 300,000 galleons cancel Mr. Weasley’s liabilities to Gringott’s Bank of 100,000 galleons due after 2 years and 150,000 galleons due after 5 years if money is worth at an effective rate of 12%?
HINT:
u = PV of the 100,000
v = PV of the 150,000
w = PV of the 300,000
w = u + v

You'll need to use logs:
remember that if a^p = x, then p = log(x) / log(a)

1. What is compound interest?

Compound interest is the interest calculated on the initial principal amount as well as on the accumulated interest from previous periods. In simple terms, it is the interest on interest.

2. How is compound interest different from simple interest?

Simple interest is calculated only on the initial principal amount, while compound interest takes into account the accumulated interest from previous periods as well. This leads to a higher total interest earned over time with compound interest.

3. How is compound interest calculated?

Compound interest is calculated by using the formula A = P(1+r/n)^(nt), where A is the total amount, P is the principal amount, r is the annual interest rate, n is the number of compounding periods per year, and t is the total number of years.

4. Can compound interest work against me?

Yes, compound interest can work against you if you have a loan or debt with compound interest. In this case, the interest will be added to the principal amount, increasing the overall amount that needs to be paid back.

5. How can I use compound interest to my advantage?

You can use compound interest to your advantage by investing your money in instruments that offer compound interest, such as savings accounts, certificates of deposit, or compound interest bonds. This can help your money grow over time and earn more interest.