Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compound machine project help

1. Dec 8, 2007 #1
    I need to create a compound machine that has 3 steps using simple machines. I'm desperate here, any ideas? :confused:
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2007 #2
    Compound Pulley System?
  4. Dec 8, 2007 #3
  5. Dec 8, 2007 #4

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Please.
    By 3 steps, do you mean that you have to use 3 different types of machine to achieve your final result? If so, gears, pulleys, and levers are probably the easiest to work with. There are thousands of different combinations of those.
  6. Oct 19, 2009 #5
    i need some help, i have a project using the six simple machines due on 10/21/09, if anyone can tell me how to make a gear(s) out of household objects before 10/21/09 will be greatly appreciated, thanks :]
  7. Oct 20, 2009 #6

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Mkinator.
    You won't get much in the way of accuracy, but the easiest way to make a gear is probably to drill holes into the circumference of a wooden disk and insert dowels to act as teeth. That's how DaVinci made his. You could also carve or saw teeth out the the disk itself, but it would be more work.
    There are more ways, but those are probably your simplest options.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?