1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compound pendulum question

1. Apr 12, 2016 #1
    • Thread moved from the technical forums, so no HH Template is shown.
    I am doing the compound pendulum experiment but I am stuck on how to find the value of g from the graph

Here's a description of the compound pendulum:

The compound pendulum AB is suspended by passing a knife edge through the first hole. The pendulum is pulled aside through a small angle and released, whereupon it oscillates in a vertical plane with a small amplitude. The time for 10 oscillations is measured. From this the period T of oscillation of the pendulum is determined.

The method to find the acceleration due to gravity, is not really making much sense.

Please see it below:

A graph is drawn with the distance d of the various holes a straight line is drawn parallel to the X- axis from a given period T on the Y- axis, cutting the graph at four points A, B, C, D. The distances AC and BD, determined from the graph, are equal to the corresponding length l. The average length l = (AC+BD)/2. In a similar way , l/T2 is calculated for different periods by drawing lines parallel to the X-axis from the corresponding values of T along the Y- axis. l/T2 should be constant over all periods T, so the average over all suspension points is taken. the acceleration due to gravity is calculated from the equation g= 4π2(l/T2).

I don't know what the given period is, do you just use any random period? For I/T2, do you just like draw vertical lines parallel to all the values of T and then average the T values?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

This would so be so much easier to understand with a sketch of the setup and a picture of the graph.

4. Apr 12, 2016 #3
    I won't be able to upload a sketch of the setup since my printer isn't working at the moment.

Is it okay if I show you an accurate picture of the experiment and a picture of the graph? :smile:

5. Apr 12, 2016 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

That's a good start! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted