Finding g with a Compound/Physical Pendulum: Plotting and Calculating

• Thread starter Pete2008
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pendulum
In summary, to find the acceleration due to gravity using a compound/physical pendulum, you can use the formula T=2pie*sqrt(I/mgh) and plot a graph of T against I. The gradient of the line on the graph can then be used to calculate g, as it follows the equation of a straight line y=mx+c. The x-axis of the graph should represent the variable I, which is changed by moving the mass along the rod. Rearranging the original formula into y=mx+c will help in finding the value of g.
Pete2008
Find the acceleration due to gravity using a compound/phyiscal pendulum. Using the formula: T=2pie*sqrt(I/mgh)

I understand how to find all the variables but to find g, i must plot a graph of T against something (Thats where i need help) and use the gradient of the line to calculate g.

so.

1.What do i plot against T
2.How would i calculate g from the gradient of the line

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Pete and welcome to PF,

Firstly, what is the general equation of a straight line?

Hi,

The equation of a staright line is y=mx+c, and i guess that T would be the y axis/ the y part of the equation. Would the x-axis of the graph be I, because that's the variable I am changing by moving the mass along the rod?

Once I know the x and y part of the equation would it just be a case of rearanging the origional formula into y=mx+c?

Thanks

Last edited:
Pete2008 said:
Hi,

The equation of a staright line is y=mx+c, and i guess that T would be the y axis/ the y part of the equation. Would the x-axis of the graph be I, because that's the variable I am changing by moving the mass along the rod?

Once I know the x and y part of the equation would it just be a case of rearanging the origional formula into y=mx+c?

Thanks
Absolutely spot on :approve:

Thanks alot

Pete2008 said:
Thanks alot
No problem, I didn't do anything...:uhh:

1. What is a compound/physical pendulum?

A compound or physical pendulum is a system consisting of a rigid body that is free to rotate about a fixed axis. It is different from a simple pendulum in that the rigid body has a significant size and mass, and its center of mass is not located at the point of suspension.

2. How does a compound/physical pendulum work?

A compound/physical pendulum works by utilizing the principles of oscillation and rotational motion. When the pendulum is displaced from its equilibrium position, gravity exerts a torque on the pendulum, causing it to rotate. The pendulum then oscillates back and forth, with the period of the oscillation depending on the length of the pendulum and the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors affect the period of a compound/physical pendulum?

The period of a compound/physical pendulum is affected by several factors, including the length of the pendulum, the mass and distribution of the rigid body, and the acceleration due to gravity. The period is also affected by the amplitude of the oscillation, with larger amplitudes resulting in longer periods.

4. How is the period of a compound/physical pendulum calculated?

The period of a compound/physical pendulum can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(I/mgd), where T is the period, I is the moment of inertia of the rigid body, m is the mass of the body, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and d is the distance from the point of suspension to the center of mass of the body.

5. What are some real-world applications of compound/physical pendulums?

Compound/physical pendulums are used in various applications, including clocks, seismometers, and accelerometers. They are also used in sports equipment, such as golf clubs and tennis rackets, to improve the stability and accuracy of the equipment. Additionally, compound/physical pendulums are used in scientific experiments to study oscillatory and rotational motion.