Using Compounded Angle Identities: How to Simplify cos(\pi-x) = -cosX?

In summary, the conversation discusses the formula cos(A-b) = cosAcosB+sinAsinB and how it is used to find the value of cos(pi-x). The conversation also mentions the values of sin(pi) and cos(pi) and how to convert between radians and degrees. The final question posed is where to go from there in solving the equation.
moe11

Homework Statement

cos([tex]\pi[/tex]-x)= -cosX

the formula is cos(A-b) = cosAcosB+sinAsinB
so i sub in the given to get..
cos[tex]\pi[/tex]cosx + sin[tex]\pi[/tex]sinX

then where do i go from there? I am new to math like this, its a much higher level than what I am used to, any help would be very apprieciated. thanks.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What does cos(pi) and sin(pi) work out to be?

rock.freak667 said:
What does cos(pi) and sin(pi) work out to be?

sinpi= 0.054803665
cospi= 0.998497149

i don't know where to go from there, i know after the dust settles i need to have -cosx somehow.

Those should be values you have memorized...

(And incidentally, you left your calculator in degree mode on accident)

Are you familiar with radians? [tex]\pi =180^o[/tex]

You can use both radians and degrees. If you use the radian mode you will write π = 3.141592 and if you use degree mode you will write п = 180o. Anyway, you will get same value. But these values are so easy to remember (even you don't need to remember it, just draw a circle in coordinate system, and remember the x-axis is cos and the y-axis is sin). Now turn for 180o from 0o and you will get what?

Regards.

1. What are compounded angle identities?

Compounded angle identities are trigonometric identities that involve two or more angles. They are used to simplify complex trigonometric expressions and solve equations involving multiple angles.

2. How are compounded angle identities different from basic trigonometric identities?

Basic trigonometric identities involve only one angle, whereas compounded angle identities involve two or more angles. Compounded angle identities are derived from basic identities and are used to solve more complex problems.

3. What are some examples of compounded angle identities?

Some examples of compounded angle identities include the double angle identities, half angle identities, and the sum and difference identities.

4. Why are compounded angle identities important?

Compounded angle identities are important because they allow us to simplify complex trigonometric expressions and solve equations involving multiple angles. This is particularly useful in fields such as engineering, physics, and surveying.

5. How can I remember all the compounded angle identities?

The best way to remember compounded angle identities is to practice and use them regularly. You can also create your own study aids such as flashcards or mnemonic devices to help you remember them. Additionally, many online resources and textbooks provide tables and charts with the most commonly used compounded angle identities.