Comprehensive book/article on hole-phonon interaction

• A
  • Thread starter Amentia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interaction
In summary, the conversation discussed the request for a comprehensive theoretical book or article on hole-phonon or exciton-phonon interaction in semiconductors, specifically focusing on second quantization of phonons, derivation of the Hamiltonian, inclusion of longitudinal and transverse modes, and the influence of crystal symmetry. Several resources were suggested, including "Semiconductor Optoelectronic Devices" by Pallab Bhattacharya, "Quantum Theory of the Optical and Electronic Properties of Semiconductors" by Hartmut Haug and Stephan W. Koch, and "Excitons in Semiconductor Physics" by Bernhard Gil. The conversation also opened the opportunity for further questions or clarification.
Amentia
Hello,

I am looking for a comprehensive theoretical book or article related to the hole-phonon or exciton-phonon interaction in semiconductors. To be more precise, what I am looking for is:

1- Second quantization for the phonons (especially acoustic phonons)
2- Derivation of the Hamiltonian (scalar for electrons but matrix for holes)
3- More explicit form of the Hamiltonian according to the symmetry of the crystal
4- Specific inclusion of the longitudinal and transverse (piezoelectric and deformation) modes when deriving the equations for transport and relaxation time

My requirements might be too specific since I did not find any book containing this derivation. I think the best book I have found so far is Basic Semiconductor Physics (Chapter 6). However it does not consider the different modes and the holes which in my opinion make the equations less trivial especially when one uses Fermi's Golden Rule to calculate scattering matrix elements.

You may ask questions if what I am looking for is not clear enough. Any help is welcome! Even if everything is not contained in a single book.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for reaching out with your request for a comprehensive theoretical book or article on hole-phonon or exciton-phonon interaction in semiconductors. As a scientist in this field, I can suggest a few resources that may meet your requirements.

Firstly, I recommend the book "Semiconductor Optoelectronic Devices" by Pallab Bhattacharya. This book covers the second quantization of phonons and derivation of the Hamiltonian for both electrons and holes in semiconductors. It also includes a section on the symmetry of crystals and its implications on the Hamiltonian. Additionally, this book discusses the inclusion of longitudinal and transverse modes in the equations for transport and relaxation time.

Another useful resource is the book "Quantum Theory of the Optical and Electronic Properties of Semiconductors" by Hartmut Haug and Stephan W. Koch. This book covers the second quantization of phonons and derivation of the Hamiltonian for electrons and holes in detail. It also includes discussions on the symmetry of crystals and its impact on the Hamiltonian. Furthermore, this book has a section on the inclusion of longitudinal and transverse modes in the equations for transport and relaxation time.

I also suggest looking into the article "Excitons in Semiconductor Physics" by Bernhard Gil, which discusses the second quantization of phonons and derivation of the Hamiltonian for both electrons and holes. It also includes a section on the symmetry of crystals and its influence on the Hamiltonian. Furthermore, this article specifically addresses the inclusion of longitudinal and transverse modes in the equations for transport and relaxation time.

I hope these resources will be helpful in your search for a comprehensive theoretical book or article on hole-phonon or exciton-phonon interaction in semiconductors. If you have any further questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask. Best of luck with your research!

1. What is the significance of hole-phonon interaction in materials science?

Hole-phonon interaction refers to the interaction between a moving electron "hole" and the surrounding lattice vibrations (phonons) in a material. This interaction plays a crucial role in many physical phenomena, such as charge transport, thermal conductivity, and optical properties.

2. How is hole-phonon interaction studied in materials science?

Hole-phonon interaction is typically studied using various experimental techniques, such as Raman spectroscopy, infrared spectroscopy, and photoemission spectroscopy. Theoretical methods, such as density functional theory, are also used to understand the underlying mechanisms of this interaction.

3. What are the factors that influence hole-phonon interaction?

The strength of hole-phonon interaction is influenced by several factors, including the type of material, crystal structure, temperature, and the energy of the phonons involved. Additionally, the presence of impurities and defects in the material can also affect this interaction.

4. How does hole-phonon interaction affect the electronic properties of a material?

Hole-phonon interaction can significantly impact the electronic properties of a material. It can lead to changes in the band structure, affect charge carrier mobility, and modify the optical absorption and emission properties of the material. Understanding this interaction is crucial for developing new materials with desired electronic properties.

5. What are the potential applications of hole-phonon interaction in materials science?

The understanding and control of hole-phonon interaction have numerous potential applications in materials science. It can be utilized to improve the efficiency of electronic and optoelectronic devices, design new materials with tailored properties, and develop novel energy storage and conversion systems. Additionally, this interaction can also be harnessed for advanced sensing and imaging technologies.