How do I calculate CO2 output from a compressed air tank with 5% CO2?

In summary, to determine the number of moles of CO2 coming out of a tank of compressed air with 5% CO2 and 95% air, you can compute the number of moles of CO2 based on the total volume of the tank (95 liters of air and 5 liters of CO2). This will give you the number of moles of CO2 in 100 liters. Keep in mind that the concentration of CO2 may change over time due to its heavier molecular weight compared to air.
wils0645
If I have a tank of compressed air with 5% CO2 and 95% air, and I know the flow rate coming out of the tank is 0.01 LPM, how do I determine the number of [moles/L] of CO2 coming out of the tank?

Physics news on Phys.org
Imagine that in the tank you have 95 liters of air and 5 liters of CO2. Compute the number of moles of CO2. This will be the number of moles of CO2 in 100 liters. The rest you can do yourself.

Naturally you will have 5% of 0.01LPM CO2 coming out of the tank. There's a slight change over time because CO2 molecule is 44 which is heavier than air (29). When the tank goes to the end, the concentration of CO2 is higher than 5%, so are other heavier contaminant gases.

What is compressed 5% CO2 in tank?

Compressed 5% CO2 in tank refers to a gas mixture that contains 5% carbon dioxide and 95% other gases, such as nitrogen and oxygen, stored in a pressurized tank.

What is the purpose of compressed 5% CO2 in tank?

The purpose of compressed 5% CO2 in tank is to provide a readily available source of carbon dioxide for various industrial and scientific applications, such as in food and beverage production, fire extinguishers, and chemical reactions.

How is compressed 5% CO2 in tank created?

Compressed 5% CO2 in tank is created by compressing a gaseous mixture of carbon dioxide and other gases to high pressures, typically between 800-1000 psi, and storing it in a tank.

What are the safety precautions when handling compressed 5% CO2 in tank?

There are several safety precautions to consider when handling compressed 5% CO2 in tank, including wearing appropriate protective gear, ensuring proper ventilation, and following proper storage and handling procedures to prevent leaks or accidents.

What are the potential uses for compressed 5% CO2 in tank?

Compressed 5% CO2 in tank has a wide range of potential uses, including as a propellant in aerosol products, a coolant in refrigeration systems, and a source of carbon dioxide for algae growth in aquaculture. It is also commonly used in scientific research and experiments.